Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what humidity range for tiger salamander?

chatsworth

Reaction score
hi all, I'm thinking of becoming more anal about my tigers living conditions and I was just curious as to what humidity range/reading is best for them? Im thinking of getting those humidity gauges at petsmart. And also whatelse should I watch for? What temperature range? Also I just wanna add one more thing. I found that my tiger is perfectly happy with an entire block of Eco earth substrate in his ten gallon tank. Its so much that it doesn't Stink or become all nasty. And I only change it every 6 mos! What do you guys think? Thanks.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
hi all, I'm thinking of becoming more anal about my tigers living conditions and I was just curious as to what humidity range/reading is best for them? Im thinking of getting those humidity gauges at petsmart. And also whatelse should I watch for? What temperature range? Also I just wanna add one more thing. I found that my tiger is perfectly happy with an entire block of Eco earth substrate in his ten gallon tank. Its so much that it doesn't Stink or become all nasty. And I only change it every 6 mos! What do you guys think? Thanks.
I tend to be more conservative and change my tigers' vivariums substrate every 6 weeks or so with spot cleaning every few days. One block of Eco Earth does nicely in a 10 gallon aquarium. Temps should range between mid-sixties to low seventies F and viv kept out of direct sunlight. Regarding humidity, unlike some amphibians, humidity is not a large concern. Keeping a shallow water bowl filled with spring water (changed when soiled or every few days) and misting when substrate appears dry is really all that is needed. Substrate should be moist but not wet. A moisture gradient is recommended with one end of the viv being more moist than the other end so that the tiger can self modulate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1