Illness??

Atl

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Hi all!! I've seen my golden albino axolotl's gills, wich are generally redish, turned into a yellowish colour. I would be very grated to know if it's an illness or it's common.:confused: I want to add that i saw that change while their light were turned on...
Another thing I would like to add is that after the last time I fed them:frog:, I found the pieces of meat almost no digested... You know, I'm a bit worried about those things... Could it be stress??
I've observed that they have been more active than they usually do (though water conditions are all right)

Hi Atl,

Do your axies gills change colour from dull to normal? If they do its quite normal as axies gills change colour with activity pale when inactive or asleep and bright when active.

Hi!!

Oh! Ok.. Thank you!!! I didn't realise what was happening because I'd never seen him/her as palid as the other day... now I'm seein him/her a bit colourless than normal, but I suppose the other day was sleeping... ha ha!! :proud:
Oh, do you know if they move their gills repeatedly to increase its colours? yesterday, "Mejolote" (the axolotl) was a bit palid, at feeding time, and after he started eating, he also started to move its gills repeatedly and their colour seemed to increase from a yelowish to a redish... That's amazing!!:cool:

Axies are lazy, in order for the gills to extract oxygen they need a water flow so its swim or flap.

I find them amazing too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back