Cooling Fans

dk

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
dk
Hey guys
:talker:I was just wondering if cooling fans that clip on the side of the tank, actually help to reduce the temperature? Im thinking of purchasing one, but would it be a wast of money? Any thoughts from those who own one? Or anyone?
Thanks

Cooling fans placed on the side of a tank may actually reduce the temperature by some degrees if they create a constant flow over the surface (by an effect called evaporation).
When using these fans you should regularily air the room for the evaporation depends upon the humidity in your room.

Hi D.K.

The good news is you live in Australia home of the eskie and other ingenious cooling devices, the bad news for axie keeping is you live in Australia. Which means keeping your tank cool in summer is a major mission.

Now may be a good time to start looking at something more than surface fans. Other Aussies have come up with some ingenious ways of cooling their tanks. Have a look at some of the threads in the tanks section of this site or www.axolotl.org.

The good thing is there are many effective and safe ways to cool tanks.

Good Luck

Yeah thanks. I think ill invest in the fan along with other methods. Im trying to prepare now before the real heat picks up...summer :eek:

Hi d.k.

Some of the australian breeders and keepers have been using polystyrene sheets around their tanks with good success.

Best of luck if spring is any indicator you guys are in for a long hot summer

I have found it so hard to regulate the water for my babies so I invested in a small reverse cycle chiller/ heater. It cost about $700 with the pump as well, but I think it is worth it to avoid the heartache of transfering bottles in and out of the aquariums. I also found that their health has improved dramatically since then. I think you can pick them up reconditioned for about half the price.

Catherine did it first, but after reading her threads, I've made a three sided polystyrene "cage" to put around the tank on really hot days and can keep temp to 20c with ice bottles in the tank too. As it insulates the tank somewhat the temperature is more stable than putting bottles in and out otherwise though still not really cold enough. I put it around the front of the tank, which means we can't see our axie, but also means we don't have to move/rearrange our cords for filter, bubbler and light and it can be done easily and quickly. Also creates a nice darkish, quiet environment for him, so at least that part of his life is low-stress. Good luck; it's a pain; I'm consoling myself with at least the other 8-9 months of the year will be better.

i use bottles of rain water frozen to get temp down, plus a little tempo desk fan from kmart $11.00, it dropped temp 5 deg. The other day it was about 38 deg up here in the hills and our tank got to 22, but it went back to 19-20 with the fan going, that was midmorning, and it stayed there through the heat...
admittedly we took our light off and have 3 led (2 blue and 1 white) in there instead.
We are going to get a chiller after chrissy..... i want my babies to be happy...

i bought an azoo cooling fan for aquariums and it works really well it brought my tank temp from 22 to about 17-18 degrees i even had to turn the heater on slightly to stop it from going to low in the nights but i live in britain which im sure is a lot colder than where you live

no heater needed

You don't need a heater at all, axolotl should be kept below 20 degrees ...the cooler the better and happier they are.

we have just made a chiller, and it cost all of $10... the old foam esky with holes drilled in for pipes (tubes same diameter of pump/filter) about 2 metres of coiled tubing and 2 bags of ice, should last about 1-2 days (in testing stage atm) and by gestimation and previous experience of ice bottles should drop the temp nearly 10degs... will update on this over the next couple of days....

okay 1 hour later and its dropped 2 degs....

okie dokies then...4 hours after putting 'makeshift' cooler in place we have dropped the temp 7 degrees, we are back under 20 YAY..

To boost the cooling along I went and bought one of these box fans from target the ones with the turning bit in the middle, that fits just nicely face down over my tank, set on 1 with the turning bit turning i have a beautiful airflow all through the surface of the tank, That should boost evaporation.
will update again tonight...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back