PDA

View Full Version : what does this all mean

potshe
23rd October 2007, 10:20
I am a tad concerned about my son's axolotl. Firstly, I believe we have a female. We only have one axolotl and I believe she may have reached sexual maturity as she is displaying dark marks on her fingertips. Today I noticed an opening in the tail region. It looked swollen and opened up, but nothing proceeded from the gap. Later it seemed to close. Also, she hasn't eaten since Saturday, I think, and today is Tuesday, but I believe that is because the water is too hot and I am about to do something about it. Her gills are looking more red than usual too. Would it be acceptable to add some cold water to the tank? I'd appreciate any advice.

MRIGUY
23rd October 2007, 10:59
I am far from an Axie expert but I will chime in anyway (that is the fun of this board). Too Hot is vague. Have you measured the temperature of the water? The axie will not eat well if the water is outside it's comfort zone and it is easier to do that with warmer water. Not eating since Saturday though is not excessively long. The red gills are likely nothing. The gills change from pale to bright red as a function of increased blood perfusion in respose to oxygen levels in the water and activity level. An accurate temp will get you more responses

kapo
24th October 2007, 08:32
How long have you had the axolotl. Darkening toe tips will indicate the axolotl is maturing or may be sexually mature. Check out the following link, it will give more details about sexing your axolotl. http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm

You do need a more accurate way of telling the temperature than it's hot. So, if you don't have a thermometer to put in the tankwater, get one. Ideal temperatures for an axolotl are anything below 20 degrees celcius. (not room temperature but tankwater temperature).

The following link has methods for cooling your tank: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

ianclick
25th October 2007, 01:58
Hi Potshe,

Axolotls are known for their regenerative abilities I would keep an eye on the area that you describe as an opening for infection over the next week.

Three days is not a long time for an axie to go with out food they than go for a lot longer. But if this is not the normal feeding pattern then that would suggest all is not good.

You could test your water for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and sort out the temperature. Have a look at the sites kapo mentioned.

Good Luck

Jennewt
25th October 2007, 02:25
Is there gravel in the tank?