Substrate Question for Tiger Salamander

Rothman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone I recently bought a Barred Tiger Salamander and setup it's tank and everything. I thought I researched everything but I just read that you shouldn't use Peat Moss? I have him in moist peat moss now but I will be changing it later on today if it's alright. The Caudata Culture care sheet says it's too low in PH and creates Ion loss, in turn kills it? I never thought of that! Is that true and I should switch it out?

Thanks for any help. :)

I use a mixture of topsoil and coco fiber for mine. It facilitates burrowing better than peat, and doesn't have the highly variable (and often low) pH problems that come with peat.

Hey everyone I recently bought a Barred Tiger Salamander and setup it's tank and everything. I thought I researched everything but I just read that you shouldn't use Peat Moss? I have him in moist peat moss now but I will be changing it later on today if it's alright. The Caudata Culture care sheet says it's too low in PH and creates Ion loss, in turn kills it? I never thought of that! Is that true and I should switch it out?

Thanks for any help. :)

Here is a recent discussion on the pH issue:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50568

Like Kaysie, I use coco-fiber or topsoil without any additives or a combo of both for my tigers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back