Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquatic Tiger Sal?

ETH002

Reaction score
My friend has a tank set up, but it's a rather wild setup. He's got a cooter turtle (about two inch diagram) which he claims eats mostly plants. Then on top of that he's got a tiger sal in there too. The tank is mostly aquatic but it's got a dock thing thats about 6 in long and 4.5 wide. The tiger sal is doing great though and even swims some. He eats alot and even meets you in the water, or where ever you want to feed him. The turtle eats his plants and pellets fine, with a few ghost shrimp and he seems to be doing good to. Oh i forgot to mention there about 15 or more fish in the 5 inches of water. Even though theres a turtle in there he claims it's never messed with the sal, even says they'll sit next to each other on the dock for hours lol. Well I was just gonna see what everybody thought about this wild setup.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

this might be not only a wild, but also a dangerous setup.
But to let people with experience speak about it:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml#id52

Over time I personally came to the realization that it always goes well until something goes terribly wrong with this kind of mixing...

I would suggest to give each one of them a seperate setup where they can live in.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tiger salamanders in aquatic setups long-term tend to get skin infections and other kinds of problems. And the turtle with it... not a good idea. The setup sounds good for the turtle, but I feel very sorry for the tiger sal.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My friend has a tank set up, but it's a rather wild setup. He's got a cooter turtle (about two inch diagram) which he claims eats mostly plants. Then on top of that he's got a tiger sal in there too. The tank is mostly aquatic but it's got a dock thing thats about 6 in long and 4.5 wide. The tiger sal is doing great though and even swims some. He eats alot and even meets you in the water, or where ever you want to feed him. The turtle eats his plants and pellets fine, with a few ghost shrimp and he seems to be doing good to. Oh i forgot to mention there about 15 or more fish in the 5 inches of water. Even though theres a turtle in there he claims it's never messed with the sal, even says they'll sit next to each other on the dock for hours lol. Well I was just gonna see what everybody thought about this wild setup.

Trevor
You asked this same question in September and it was answered.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50285

Why are you asking again?

For all of the reasons stated in the thread in September and again for the ones that have been iterated here....do the animal a big favor and place the tiger in a terrestial set-up. The animal is a captive and he deserves better care...from you....or your friend.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone else here. Due to the mixed habitat needs of all these animals you are going to have problems eventually. Things may seem fine but have a tendency to fall apart quickly in these types of setups.

As mentioned salamanders require cool temperatures and tigers like to burrow. Your setup provides no place to burrow and if it is setup properly for the turtle with basking lamps and heated water than you are not providing the appropriate temperature either. There is also the problem that turtles are often opportunistic in what they eat and if hungry may try a bite of salamander and things like skin infections mentioned above.

For the sake of your animals, the salamander and turtle need their own enclosures. I would say the fish need their own also. Compromising the care of all your animals to keep more of them in one cage is not a responsible choice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1