Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Monkee a male?!

pavlor

Reaction score
Now, Monkee has reached sexual maturity (finger tips have darkened and have been for quite some months), but she (he?) has all the chracteristics of a female: no enlarged cloaca, rounded head etc... I was hand-feeding her (him?) shrimps and she (he?) started to wiggle about frenetically and deposited what looked like spermaphore on my hand... At first I though it was skin (!), but then under closer inspection and do a search on the Net, it was most definitely gooey and not skin, and looked like all the pictures of spermaphore I've seen. I though Lemon was a male as he has a pointy snout, is more elongated, but he doesn't have an enlarged cloaca either.

So, is it possible Monkee is a boy, or a axolotl with gender dysmorphia... ;)?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
When Maude started laying eggs she was definately wriggling to position her cloaca area to attach eggs..maybe it wasn't spermataphore ( looks to me like a jelly pyramid with a white dot on the top)but preperation for egg laying. The eggs come out a bit like toad spawn and then the jelly protective coating swelled in the water. My male showed himself to being male quite early on, with the distictive bulges..I think he was about 8-9 months when I found mysterious packages dotted arounfd the tank. Maude however gave nothing away, except for the tips of her toes going slightly grey..with in the week she gleefully demonstrated she was female by decorating her tank in a snow like theme.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1