Giant axie

niajetze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
carrie
I have a 4 foot tank for my axies now (3 adults) Should be big enough however I have measured nadia and mesured again . . . I thought 30cm was a decent size for an axie? nadia is now 48 cm (and as far as I know still growing) with freckles being about 30 and deaky about 25cm is there too much axie in my tank ? I am also concerned that the size difference means I should separate them nadia and deaky (the smallest) have never really got on.

Hi,

I've never heard of an axolotl this big :eek: The biggest ones I have personally seen were about 35 cm. What do you feed them - whole carp, chicken and rabbits? ;) Do you have a picture?

I a 4 tf tank (depending in the depth of it) you could house maybe 6 "normal" axolotls, how many with this giant - no idea.

I assume that the big one is not only longer than the smaller ones but also has a bigger head, therefore I think it may be dangerous to keep all of them together (at least nadia is nearly twice as big!)

Well, a pic maybe great, especially for comparison.

will sort out pic ... I think she might me a bit dangerous for deaky as she does bite at her pretty often and although I dont think she could eat her she probably culd kill deaky if she set her mind to it ... her head is in ratio with her body .... I knew that she was big but I never realised she had grown that big!!! I feed her a varied diet but mostly earth worms about 2 a week (other snacks included) these grow very big aound here also. Though when I bought her her parents were being housed in the aquarium store at the same time and come to think of it she is probably only a little bit smaller / same size as they were.

48cm?? damn... that is a modern day dinosaur.. I would love to see a pic of that one..
that's just... wow!

Just wondering... it that one bites you.. does it hurt? Or would you lose a finger trying? :p

...I have to bring up this thread again - still want to see pics of the giant! :D

Like Daniel I worry a bit about the smaller axolotls, however the tank is big enough to cope with the metabolic bulk of this giant, as its muscle mass is about the equivalent of four "ordinary" 30 cm axolotls (calculation (48x48x48)/(30x30x30)=4.096) assuming mass is related to the cube of the length, so regard your tank as fully but not overstocked. Post a picture with a ruler and then someone can edit Wikipedia. Why not claim a world record? You can always update it at 50cm.

could you please post a picture so I could see what this axie looks like.

:( pictures please.

is this thing real!!???

You got folks begging you here.:D This sounds pretty amazing to me, I would also love to see a picture of this giant with maybe some common object in the picture for size reference.

probably got himself a baby hellbender or something similar.......
pictures!!!
Even a camera phone piccy'll do.

Krystals only 17cm lol but then again shes not even a year old yet!! :p - would love to see the GIANT axie! :D

Wikipedia (for what it's worth) says Axies can reach up to 45 cm - this could be a record-breaking axie! I wanna see :(

Holy Moley! I betcha the person measured wrong by accident or something to that effect :)

Well for curiosities sake I dragged a ruler (feeling quite lazy today) over to the tank and Milo was conveniently waiting for me lengthwise. So I gave her a measure and she topped off at around 27.5 cm! I don't quite think I ever realized how big she was... Now I can't wait to measure all the rest of them!

[Note: as I was typing the message, Alexa came over to see what all the hubalub was about and she measured out at 20cm ::grins::]

Whip out those rulers everyone! Haha...

I`ve set eyes on a 43 cm axolotl so this doesn`t surprise me that much. Still rare but not incredible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back