Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Lottie

Lisa

Reaction score
Have had our axolotyl three days and finding feeding her tricky. Gave her an earthworm the first day, which she was very interested in and tried several times to eat, but was too big so I cut it down but she seemed to have lost interest by then and maybe ate a couple of 1cm long pieces. Have bought some frozen bloodworms and she likes those, but the cubes are quite big and do you put them in the water frozen? As they defrost they fall apart and made quite a mess, which I vacuumed out (siphoned) with about 20% of the water in the tank. I know they only need to eat every couple of days, but she's quite skinny (about 17cm long) and I thought daily feeding might help? She also pooed out some gravel the same day I got her which she had been on at the petshop. Checked ammonia and pH today and both OK. She is quite active a few times a day, swimming around, often at the glass. Is on large pebbles, with some live plants and a log to hide in.

kclinton

Reaction score
This is how I feed blood worms, defrost some in a small paper cup with a little tank water. Suck them up with a turkey baster squeez them slow on to a feeding dish. If she skinny I say let her eat every day tell she starts to look plump. Thank cut back on the food.

Saspotato

Reaction score
I run bloodworm cubes under some warm water to thaw them out a bit then I break it up into little pieces and feed it to my axolotl by hand. It seems to work well, apart from Maxolotl occasionally getting a hold of my finger...

There is a little mess on the ground as some worms break away but Maxolotl spends the next half hour or so hoovering them up (I have sand, not gravel or rocks tho so they don't get lost)! I think he finds that enjoyable :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1