Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is there a doctor in the house?

potshe

Reaction score
I am feeling rather dizzy with fatigue after two days of nursing my axie:(. I believe we have a girl judging from what I have read. We have had her since April and all has been dandy, at least I thought, until this past weekend. She fed on Saturday, but on Monday when we tried to feed her again she was not interested. This is most unlike her. I happened to notice that her water felt really warm, but because we had never bought a thermometer, I didn't realize that it had reached dangerous temps and that it was the reason for her loss in appetite. I noticed that in the cloaca area "something" opened up, like a slit:eek:. We had seen her pass feces before, but it didn't look anything like this and nothing came out of this opening. Thankfully, it closed back up again. Until now taking care of her had been so easy, I guess we had taken it for granted.

We had been doing a 25% water change every week and using a de-chlorinator. We had been feeding her on a variety of food. Anyway, when I realized that the water posed a risk I decided to try and lower the temperature, although I believe I did it too quickly because she went into shock soon afterwards, doing the yawning repeatedly. It was a rather stressful time for us all. Yesterday night, (Thursday) I moved her downstairs where I believed it would be cooler, and this morning, after noticing that the temperature still was at 20C, I moved the tank onto the cold tile floor, which helped it drop to 18C. By mid morning she was looking far more perky:D, although I could still see the red limbs which I had noticed the night before. I decided to go out and get her a treat as I was concerned that she had not eaten since Saturday and today is Friday. I bought some white bait and when I opened the tank she actually responded, something she had not done all week. She eagerly at her lunch and I gave her another one this evening, which she gulped up.

She is looking more perky, I must say but I am still concerned about what appears to be a bacteria infection (red limbs). Her tail is still curled too:mad:. I have bought some methylene blue, but I am not sure how to administer it and whether I should at all. In the past 30 hours I have gradually changed 100% of the water. I am concerned that this bacteria is just going to circulate around the tank though and I am not going to get rid of it:rolleyes:.

I hope I haven't gone on too much;), but I wanted to be thorough:talker:. Our axie has, I believe, reached sexual maturity as she has the characteristic black fingertips, if that gives you any idea of her age. Does anyone have any advice to offer on the above?

Thank you!
Potshe

kapo

Reaction score
Our leucistic/white axolotls (dark eyes) usually get reddening or slightly pink limbs and tail when their tank temperature warms up 20C+, during summer. It may very well be from the tankwater temperature.

As s/he's eating just make sure to keep an eye on the temperature, ie that it remains 20C and below. If you do treat him/her with Meth blue, the dosage needs to be far lower than what is stated on the bottle for fish, otherwise it can be toxic to an axolotl. It's probably a better idea to also do it in a separate tank/container than it's normal tank.

The other thing you'll have to monitor is the water parameters - you may need to do 20-30% waterchanges every few days, as opposed to weekly especially as you have warmer tank temperatures, as by doing a 100% waterchange in the past 30hrs you may have effectively wiped out some of or all of the good bacteria that should be in your tank.

By monitor, I mean get the tankwater tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. When ammonia or nitrites start rising above 0, then do the waterchanges on the same day.

catherinepet1

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
;)
Hi potshe,
Welcome and hi,
Please listen to all advice you are given by zapo.
Keep temps below 20c,do water changes only every second day but only by 20% to 30%,doing a full tank change you lose all your good bacteria you have built up.
But most of all please get your water parameters checked,if you dont have kits yourself take a sample to local pet shop,but write down parameters and post .
I am very new to this site,only got my axies last week of july.
But god this site and these guys are the best,
so read all and ask all/even if you think it silly as i did with my first couple of posts.
good luck hope she/he is back to normal soon.
regards/catherine.​

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!