Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

feeding

jayson

Reaction score
I am a little worried about mine again he/she wont eat again.
Im not quite sure why but she hasent eaten for a week again. it has done this before already. but it was going good for 2 weeks then all of a sudden it wouldnt eat anything, it usually loves food!!!

i am wondering if it is like a cycle thing of something that they can go through.
The only thing that i can think of is that the water temperature is getting a little high it can some times go up to 28. i got worried then.

PH and everything is ok

He she is looking a little pale and looks a little skinnier. Should i be worried?

I decided to call it Borat after we were playing the theme song and started moving around and moving its feet like it was dancing halarious:p.

Anyways can anyone give me any tips or advice!!!!!!!!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid 28 degrees is far to high for Borat..and this could be one of the reasons he's not eating. Temperatures in the tank shoud be approx 20 degrees and under. These are various ways to help it drop .
http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#heat
During the summer I found that blowing a a fan across the surface of the water helped and as a last resort the room had curtains and wondows shut and all heat making appliances also shut down..was a bit drastic as my gang where in the kitchen!!!.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Jayson,

Bellabelloo is right, 28 degrees is way to hot. Ideally below 20 degrees above 22 degrees your axie will be suffering at 28 degrees it will be almost cooking.

Catherinepet 1 has a thread in the tanks section about using polystyrene as a tank wrap to help with temperature control. Its not yet summer so you have a bit of time before it gets really hot but I suggest that you make it a priority.

That temperature will definately stressing your axie and could well be the issue with the eating. You could also have a look at the gallery on this site there are some good ideas there two.

Good Luck

catherinepet1

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
water temp way to high

:shocked:
Hi Jayson,
I really agree your tank temp is two high and as we havnt really started summer yet,i think you need to start a plan to reduce your water temp.
I try to keep my tank between 14% and 18%,
I really started freaking out not long ago as my temps got high
I now have put polystrene foam on tank a couple of weeks ago,and what a difference it makes
Just place on sides and back of tank,you will soon see temps drop by 2% to 4% degrees
i have had many replys to my post on this and everyone that has tried it is happy with the results.
I also have fan blowing on tank surface with lids off.
I keep my tank in a cool dark spot close to floor level.
But well away from my dogs and cats
I hope your axies start eating soon,
do try to get your temps down before summer hits.
And dont be afraid to ask anything you need to know.
Regards
Catherinepet1/catherine selfridge.​

Last edited by a moderator:

catherinepet1

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
gravel

:ha:
Hi Jason,
I was just looking at your photos of your axie,
he/she is really cute/but i think they all are.
I was just wondering in photos it looks like you have gravel on bottom of tank,
if so,
just a word of warning anything that is smaller than a axies head is likly to be snaped up when they are feeding.
My two axies hagrid and norman where on a gravel botton when my kids got them for me as a pressie that was the last weekend of july.
Since then hagrid has had some bad floating problems,but since not feeding them for 5 days(i was is brisbane)
Hagrid has been pooing gravel on a daily basis,that is now 3 months and the poor thing has had all that gravel in her belly.
Mine now life on a bare tank bottom,it is so easy to do spot cleans and they dont seem to mind.
Well i hope you dont have gravel anymore and if you do please get rid of it.
As that could be another reason why your axie has gone of food,inpacted gravel belly.

Regards
Catherinepet1/Catherine Selfridge.​

jayson

Reaction score
I just put a fan that is blowing on the top of the water, i also had ice packs in the water it went down a few degrees. i just tried to feed him again but still no luck.

He wont die on me or anything will he?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you can't keep the water cooler than 28, then chances are it will get sick and die.

jayson

Reaction score
well i am now very worried!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is just so frustrating and annoying that they wont eat like any normal fish!!!!!

Anyways does anyone have any suggestions or tips on getting them to eat.

Any help would be appreciated

Saspotato

Reaction score
Basically it comes down to the fact that you need to set up an environment that is not stressful so they have no problems eating. If you do this, your axolotl should be able to eat.

Axolotls get sick and die in temperatures above 24 degrees and they really should be in temperatures of 14-18 as this is ideal for them. You *must* cool your tank if you want your axolotl to be ok. I have a cooler that reduces temperatures 6-8C which helps and I keep my tank at 16-18C, but that that is the expensive option ($250AU). Other people use frozen bottles of water, but they need to be watched to make sure that the temperature does not fluctuate wildly. Also you can move your tank to a darker (and lower) area of the house. Another member here uses polystyrene sheets to wrap the tank in (like an axie esky!).

If none of that helps, you can house your axolotl in the fridge (but keep the temperature above 5C) during hot periods. Though they tend to eat less when it is as cold as 5C as their metabolism slows.

Anyway, your axolotl is probably suffering a lot from the heat, so you really need to cool him *asap*.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls are not fish. They won't "eat like normal fish" when they're stressed. As Sarah said, you need to cool your tank, or it will continue to refuse to eat, and it will probably die.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Jayson,

Once you have everything established and working well Axolotl keeping is a relatively easily maintained passtime.

Many people on this site, myself included. Got our axies before we knew how to best care for them. As such we caused ourselves extra unneeded stress and our axies too.

The key to a happy healthy axie is consistency. A stable cycled Tank at a reasonable stable temperature. Not too much water flow and plants and hiding places, Sand or bare tank floor no small pebbles or gravel.

Try and simmulate nature. If you rapidly cool your tank it can cause as much stress as the heat was. With out wanting to sound morbid I agree with Kaysie that if you don't act soon you may be dealing with the worst case scenario.

Many keepers in Australia have to resort to putting their axies in the fridge for periods of time over Summer. I suggest that you fridge your axie now and sort out your water temperature.

Good Luck

damien

Reaction score
LOL.. I forgot that it's spring in Australia :D I didn't understand it when you were talking about it almost being summer in october :).

ontopic: The absolute best thing you can do is buy an aquarium cooler. It makes sure your temperature is stable and that is very good for the axies. As said before it is expensive, but I think it's the best solution. A fan will work, but won't cool the water enough in hot periods and ice bottles is annoying IMO because you constantly need to keep an eye on it.. and you're not at home 24/7. If the money is a problem the fridge is your friend. An Axie in the fridge needs quite some attention too.. since you need to give him cycled water changes every day.

bukowsky

Reaction score
if the highest water temperatur in the tank will be 28° it shouldn't be impossible to cool down the tank with a couple of pc coolers as long as humidity isn't too high in the tanks room [more than 55/60% could be a problem].

I put these kind of coolers on all of my tanks and temperature has been kept below 22° with now problem in a room which sometimes goes up to 26°. A friend of mine has his tank in a room that is often at 30° in summer and it works fine there too. If you'll use air-lift pump as a filter [maybe with HMF] this would cool down 1-2° by evaporation too.

klima3.jpg

if you'd like to see the whole thing just take a look http://www.lotls-in-hamburg.de/html/lotls_in_hamburg_-_kuhlung.html.

@damien
why should I change the fridge water of an axi daily? I had one for healthy reason [kidney problem] six weeks at 5° and at this point there's no input and no output ... so I would say weekly water changes would be far okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1