Eggs? Yaey!! Wiiiii! What to do?

chanteloup

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Ycc
I just looked at my tank and there is a bunch of eggs. What should I do to keep them? I figured out so far that to take the plants that the eggs are stucked to and remove the whole plant to a different tank with some water from the original tank, right? And then? I'd really need some advice!

Attachments

• DSC_4544-800.jpg
    DSC_4544-800.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC_4551-800.jpg
    DSC_4551-800.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 204
Great to hear it!You did right by taking the plants out that have the eggs on them.Make sure to check every chance you get as newts will lay many eggs and the parents may eat them.Keep them in a seperate tank/container til they hatch.Make sure the water is clean.BTW what kind of newt eggs are they?Keep us posted and good luck with them.

Have I missed something here? are they not axolotl .... forgive me if I have my wires crossed as I have a small daughter singing nursery rhymes and its rather distracting!!!!!!!!! :[

Well, since this is in the axolotl section, we can probably assume so. There are two versions of the forum: the 'big forum' which contains all species, general discussion, etc., and then the 'just axolotl' forum.

Ycc, axolotls can lay up to a thousand eggs at a time. I don't recommend trying to raise more than 20 or so the first time around. It's VERY time consuming and expensive. With the eggs you don't plan to raise, just leave them in the adult tank. The adults will... dispose... of them.

Thanks for the answears! Well I thought of raising just a few, since there is no demand over here for axolotls. I'll post later whats being going on over here.

Just wondering... what makes it expensive? The brine shrimp eggs cost hardly anything (about €8 for 195g of eggs+salt), and the rest is time and patience.
Or does it get expensive when they become juvies? I can imagine feeding 50+ juvies mosquito larvae will get expensive real quick.

Indeed it does. And if you feed anything but brine shrimp (like daphnia), they can be expensive.

I agree with Kaysie, dont try to raise more than you can, unless you have the time, money and space.

My Axie, Sylabub, laid her first eggs in May, but I couldn't stand the thought of letting nature take its course, so I separated all the eggs from the parents, not such a bright idea for a first timer. So I waited till they all hatched, 300 approx. Two weeks later Sylabub laid more. Oh no.

I have not got rid of any of them (natures way) but I have had to buy a lot of brine shrimp eggs (the local aquarium guy calls me now, the axolotl lady haha), salt, tanks, pumps, plants (this helps prevent fighting and gives them little hiding spaces) blood worm, prawns, water conditioner(dechlorinater), live blackworm, air hosing (metres), taps, turkey basters, etc. I now have approxiamately 20 tanks, containers going with the two separate hatchings. I have approx 55 of the first hatching and 80-100 of the second hatching.

It usually takes me 2 - 3 hours every day to clean the tanks and feed the baby axies and on the weekend I do a complete tank empty and clean which takes approx 4 to 5 hours. I also feed them twice a day.

I do need to say though, although it has been, as Kaysie said, expensive, I look forward to getting home from work and cleaning them as it is very relaxing and I am enjoying watching their development. Its been hard but worth it.

Just wondering, what are you going to do when they're bigger? I don't think you'll keep them all :)
I currently have 6 juvies, and I don't know what to do with them. I know I can't keep them forever, but they're too cute to let go.. and axies are so unknown here that I doubt I'll find good homes for them.

So a few have hatched already. just started an artemia-jar, and doing 50% water changes every(other) day. I found a tube with liquidfry-babyfish food among my fish foods, could I use it as well?

Attachments

• odla1.jpg
    odla1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 160
  • odla2.jpg
    odla2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 169
  • odla3.jpg
    odla3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 142
Am very much a beginner, but think babies will only eat live (moving) food like brine shrimp, daphnia or live black worms for some time. Also someone at a petshop told me that fish food deteriorates over time and shouldn't be kept longer than 6 months? But they may have just been trying to sell me more food and tell me something in response to my "why are my goldfish dying " pleas. Good luck!

Liqui-fry won't work. But the larvae do not need to eat until their yolk is gone, which is usually a few days after hatching. So they should be fine until your artemia hatch out.

If your next question is "how do I tell if they still have yolk", see the last few photos on this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/series_T_ver.shtml

Thanks for answering my next question in advance! :D

Just wondering... what makes it expensive? The brine shrimp eggs cost hardly anything (about €8 for 195g of eggs+salt), and the rest is time and patience.
Or does it get expensive when they become juvies? I can imagine feeding 50+ juvies mosquito larvae will get expensive real quick.

The food is the biggest cost. I'm raising just over 50, the premix of shrimp you mention I started with and they only lasted me a couple of days per packet. I then switched to buying the eggs and mixing in my own salt. 15g of eggs cost $39.00 New Zealand dollar (very expensive) and this only lasted just over a week. My babies are now 5 weeks old and on frozen daphnia and bloodworms. As they get bigger they eat more, just like any child. I wasnt quick enough the get a live daphnia culture going but I would reccomend that you do to save money and clean up time.

Yes the brine shrimp over here is very costly through the petshops, you can buy it through online auction sites slightly cheaper. Daphnia can also work out costly if you have to order online and get them shipped (my first batch of daphnia crashed due to inexperience; but I was lucky enough to find loads of mosquito larvae in the daphnia buckets soon after which saved both money and time.)

Murray, ours wouldn't eat dead food at 5 weeks only live, I had to stop my parents from emptying our water buckets whenever they visited, much to their horror! :D

Daphnia, hmm, how should I go with them? Sounds Interesting, I just thought of setting up a different tank to "breed" Artemia and hopefulle get the circle of life going on, but stil, I think I'll do some reasearch on Daphnia though.

Well today I got a Moina culture, sadly the temperature had dropped down to 5C, but after an hour or so they all seemed alive. Now I transfered them in to two containers (2 liter jars), with the same temperature of course and the water taken from an aquarium. I read that I should feed the Moina with yeast (approx 1ml per Liter of water). I do ave mine Artemia cultures going on (two of them also). I'll wait for a week or so before harvesting the moina (if there is enough then). the juvenile Axxos are seeming to eat the artemia already. I'll post more pictures later (still having difficulties capturing the small ones with the 18-55mm lens. I think I need to invest in an macro lens later on, maybe for christmas :)

I also have a Daphnia culture running in a bucked (I think that a 2 litre-jar may be too small in the long run).
They either feed on small algae (especially in summertime on the outside with some sunlight) or yeast. Now and then I read that feeding yeast-fed Daphnia to larvae may cause digestion problems but I never had a problem with it, until now all of my larvae flourished and grew.

To my experience it is a good idea to put some snails in the bucket, too. The snails eat dead Daphnia (should work the same with Moina), cleaning the bucket. Some protozoons feed on snail excrements and the protozoons themselves are eaten by Daphnia, establishing some kind of cycle.

Thanks for the tips! Snails i have got a lot!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back