Sea snail overload!

Madhatter

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey I've had my mystery snail for months, almost as long as I've had my axie, but yesterday I looked in the tank and I saw that there was about 8 smaller babies, obvoisly the snal had asexually breeded.

I know that if I leave the snails in the tank I could end up with millions. And I want to get them out, but I just needed your opinoins on what you think is the best thing to do. Just incase maybe having all of these snails is a good thing (I doubt that)

Thanks

xx

Mystery snails lay egg clusters above the water line.

I know and I know exactly what the eggs look like.

But thats whats weird.

There was no eggs.

But there is baby snails.

I've had the same problem in another tank before. The eggs were never seen but babies appeared! I made sure i had not introduced anything new to the tank within the previous few months. Do you think yours may have come in on a new plant or decor item? I don't believe they would be a problem in your axie tank.

I think they could have came from a plant, I use live plants so its possible.

I know someone who had mystery snails, and they had thousands of babies, and they caused a lot of trouble.

I just don't know what to do with them, whether to remove them or keep them.

You could remove them all and start a breeding tank with the snails and then sell them. Or, you can keep the snails in the tank and monitor the population. If it seems that the population is still growing, you should remove as many as you can starting with the largest ones. There are several methods available that will not harm your axolotl(s) if you want to take this route.

I too acquired snails in my tank and they tend to reproduce. I take out any eggs and wipe the glass down which will remove some of the growing snails..usually when I am about to do my water change, this seems to keep the population down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back