PDA

View Full Version : is my axie pregnant

raccy87
27th October 2007, 10:49
i recently got 4 axalotls from a pet shop at the pet shop they said they had guessed 1 of my axies was pregnant she is huge around the waist and is swimming up and down the tank she isnt trusting or hitting the end of the tank is there some thing wrong or is she pregnant, my water is also merky from left over food i have taken it out and flushed some of the water i am getting a new filter as i was sold the wrong one could it be caused from stress?

digger
27th October 2007, 11:31
if you didnt cycle your tank before getting your axies this could be a reasonfor her recent activity, i suggest you go to axolotl.org and thoroughly check all the caare sheets for axolotls starting with their set up

raccy87
27th October 2007, 12:01
im not sure what u mean by cyling my water, i had my filter going for 3 days before i got my axies. i have set up my tank according to this site, she had a big belly when i brought her home but it has gotten bigger since, if that is any help. does ny one have the symptoms for a pregnant axie?

digger
27th October 2007, 12:47
she could be pregnant a photo would help.
the cycling of a tank can take 2-3 months.
i really think you need the AXOLOTL.ORG site as this will tell you all about cycling and all the other important things you need to know to keep all your axies healthy.
you will need to do water changes daily, remove all poop and uneaten food as soon as it is seen.
hopefully she is pregnant but there are other reasons why she could be fat.
has she been kept on gravel?
if so it should be removed and either a bare floor or sand should be used. gravel causes impaction (blockage) which can prevent her from going to the toilet.
bloating is also another thing that could be wrong, im not sure of the cause of this im afraid.
but as i said before a picture would be the easiest way to answer your question.
and please visit the axolotl site as that is the place to gain immediate knowledge.
people here can help you but firstly you need to help yourself to the knowledge offered.
good luck and i look forward to seeing a pic of your axies so we can see if there might be a problem.
hopefully not :)

raccy87
27th October 2007, 14:29
this is a photo taken a few min ago hopefully it is clear enough

Kaysie
27th October 2007, 14:39
Axolotls don't get 'pregnant'. They carry eggs. They can also get bloat, as Frances said.

There are a few very important articles you need to read.

Filtration:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

Cycling:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

Bloat:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml

Axolotl breeding:
http://www.axolotl.org/breeding.htm

Axolotl housing:
http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm
http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

raccy87
27th October 2007, 16:01
ok last time it didnt work so i will try again to work out his camera

Jennewt
27th October 2007, 17:13
Be sure to read the articles linked by Kaysie. If your water is clear now, reduce the amount of feeding and remove ALL uneaten food right away after feeding (important!!!!). Get your water tested for ammonia and nitrite, and continue doing partial water changes often.

If the water is still cloudy, I would recommend getting the axolotls OUT of there immediately! Water that is cloudy from uneaten food is potentially deadly. The cloudiness is bacteria, so they are swimming in bacterial soup. Move them to clean dechlorinated water and change all of the water in the tank.

What is the size of the tank?

raccy87
27th October 2007, 23:38
the water this morning has died down quite a bit it is still cloudy a bit but not not to much, though my axie is still swimming from one side to the other, her apperance hasnt changed over night though

raccy87
28th October 2007, 01:37
not sure if this is going to work

Jennewt
28th October 2007, 01:56
If you're keeping the axies in there, be sure to to massive water changes daily. And get the water tested for ammonia, etc.

The axie doesn't look bloated, but it also does not look in great shape. The gills seem to be reduced, and it shouldn't be swimming all the time.

What size is the tank? What kind of plants and hides does it have?

raccy87
28th October 2007, 02:39
there is some plastic piping and plastic plants in there. I have just noticed there is light blots on her tail and also on another axies tail of the same colour is this normal? i have been reading the axalotl.org site trying to find some info. my tank is approximatly 4 foot its over 120cms long but i cant remember the width or height, im thinking she is just stressed because of the condition of the water and maybe because the room she is in is a entry room and there is quite alot of people comming in and out frequently i will keep an eye on her today and see how she goes if any body has any ideas please let me know these are my first axalotls and i have never had them before. Also i was wondering if i took half the water out of my tank and got another tank cycling would the bigger tank cycle quicker because it doesnt have more water in it?

Kaysie
28th October 2007, 03:36
The bacteria for cycling mainly live on surfaces, not in the water. Having more water is a good thing. It buffers against changes better than less water. With the amount of axolotls you have in your size tank, I'd do 30% water changes daily, until you can start testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

The placement of the tank isn't ideal, either. Axolotls should be in areas that don't receive a lot of traffic, and are shaded from sudden changes in light and temperature.

The spots may be normal coloration, as I didn't see any indication of fungus in the pictures you'd emailed me.

raccy87
28th October 2007, 03:47
ok i wont let out all the water then :) i am going to get a tester kit later on today and test it as soon as i get home, if i put a ordament from a tropical tank into the axies tank will there be any spread of diseases? or should i clean it first? if i have to clean it how do i do that effectively

raccy87
28th October 2007, 07:52
sorry for being a pain i has only just noticed that axie (the one swimming constantly) has fungus growing on her gills, i have tried to get the salt from the pet stores in my area though because it is a sunday i wasnt able to get any, they recomended a lotion to treat the whole tank what should i do?
by the way my water levels are
nitrate 0
amonia 0
ph 7.0

is this ok

Kaysie
28th October 2007, 15:21
Whatever you do, don't treat the whole tank.

The axolotl should be quarantined, fridged, and given salt baths.

You should also test for nitrites. I doubt your tank is actually cycled yet. What did you use to test your tank?

Jennewt
28th October 2007, 19:37
Complete cycling of a tank takes approximately 3-5 weeks. The levels you have are good, but you need to keep testing throughout this period.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lotion". What is the active ingredient in the product? I doubt that it would be as effective as salt baths. You can use ordinary household salt. See FAQ#43:
http://www.axolotl.org/faq.htm

raccy87
29th October 2007, 01:30
to test my tank i took samples of water to the petshop and they tested it with test tubes and there testing kits, the active ingrediant in the lotion is acriflavine and malachute green, its more of a liquid to treat the whole tank if that helps thanx for the advise i have noticed that 2 of the others in the tank have also got fungus on the gills :( i have treated the worst one (she doesnt have alot of her gills left) :( she is now in the fridge.

Kaysie
29th October 2007, 03:00
Malachite green is toxic and should not be used with axolotls.

Because your tank is cycling, it's causing stress on the axolotls, and causing fungus. They could also be stressed by temperature and location of your tank.

I'd take everyone out and put them in temporary housing while your tank finishes cycling. The best is to put them all in the fridge and do salt baths on those who have fungus. Remember that salt baths should be done twice a day, until fungus is gone.

ianclick
29th October 2007, 05:30
Hi raccy,

Don't worry once your tank cycles and settles down things get alot easier. In the meantime you have heaps of advice.

Good luck

bukowsky
29th October 2007, 06:17
to get rid of fungus in the tank you could use blue malachite as it is in TetraMedica GeneralTonic. Black tea would be okay too. That won't harm the axolotls.

raccy87
29th October 2007, 12:26
I have taken my axalotl out of the tank and now she is bleeding from her gills what do i do now i dont want her to die and i dont have the funds to take her to a vet not only that there is no vets in mandurah that have fish services they are all dog and cat, and there even hopeless as birds

can i take the fungus off will this help how can i kill it quick! (the fungus)
i have another with the fungus growing can i do the same thing?

Kaysie
29th October 2007, 23:36
Relax. Deep breaths.

Just keep her cool, and leave her be for a day or two. She's probably as stressed as you are.

Even if multiple animals are sick, I don't recommend treating the entire tank.

However, you have to find the root cause of why they're ill. How's the cycling coming along? Have you found a less-stressful placement for the tank than in the entryway?

digger
30th October 2007, 05:14
hi,
if your nitrate reading is 0 in the tank it has not finished cycing yet, this means the water quality is poor as the good bacteria has not built up in the filter.
get your water re-checked and ask the shop to write down the results for you.
an ideal tank should be:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40-80
temp below 20 degrees.

i would treat all your axies to salt baths if they are all showing signs of fungus.
2 teaspoons per litre of dechlorinated water 2-3 times a day, 10 mins a time.
if you are unable to pop all 3 in the fridge you need to find somewhere cool and dark to pop them to help them de-stress.
continue salt baths for at least a couple of days after fungus has dissapeared to ensure things are ok.
if your water quality is poor you should start daily water changes 20-30% as this will dilute the harmful bacteria and give the good bacteria time to build in the filter.

raccy87
30th October 2007, 05:59
i have moved them 2 of them inot a smaller tank into my bedroom so i can keep the blinds closed, and the room quite. I'm treating the other two in the fridge ( i have explained to my dad why, he thought it would kill them) with two salt baths a day but will increase that to three tomorrow my axie has now stopped bleeding from her gills and i have caught luka in time, (it is only aliitle bit there) i have my large tank still cycling in the other room still i dont have any where to put it, im hoping if i put a towel over them when there are numberous people in the room they will be ok, if any one has any other ideas please let me know

raccy87
30th October 2007, 08:18
:) in a good light when i gave them there last salt bath today there was fungus coming off in the water, i have changed the water, though some came off as she entered the new container i havnt taken it out as she is getting really stressed out.

Kaysie
30th October 2007, 14:31
The salt baths will stress them out, but it's usually the best course of treatment. This is good news! Keep up the good work.

raccy87
31st October 2007, 14:01
excellent news they are both looking MUCH BETTER in two days i should be able to add the least affected by the fungus back into the tank, and my sickest will be there in four as a guess she hasnt bled all day today and the mass of the fungus came off last night :) yipee she is looking 100% better thanks for every ones help i return to the pet shop today and had a few FRIENDLY words about the bottle they sold me (thank you for ur advice) they said they knew it could be fatal to some fish but usually at a smaller dose every thing would be fine i gave them a slight lecture and politly walked out :-) because they told me to add a full cup then today told me to only add a 1/4 so as a warning to some people becarful not every pet shop will tell you the truth! i will kepp u all updated with my tank and ask plenty more questions thanks again Rax

i also have taken all axalotls out of the large tank and have added gold fish to cycle it quicker, also be careful of the chemical out there that they try to sell you to add backteria to ur tank :)

ianclick
1st November 2007, 02:30
Hi raccy that is excellent news.

The best way to cycle tanks is with paitence, there are many store bought quick fixes but nothing works like time.

You can tell your Dad that in their natural habitat axies live in glacial fed mountain streams and lakes so the cold of a fridge won't worry them.

You could suggest to your petshop that the person who looks after the axies visits this site, but I guess it wouldn't matter as their primary interest is selling things and making money. I suggested this site to our 2 petshops, 1 has obviously visited as their whole setup has changed and their axies a heaps healthier. No joy with the second one

raccy87
1st November 2007, 02:43
i have just given them a bath this morning and the sickest one looks horrid all over again why is this happening???? she has fungus all over her body and looks horrid this morning she has been floating all morning im not sure what to do now do i continue with the salt baths?

raccy87
1st November 2007, 06:49
just to let evry one know my axie died some time today unsure if it was the fungus or the salt but owell cya was probly the fact that i hadnt cycled my tank and that the fungus got really bad really quick

digger
1st November 2007, 14:28
sorry to hear that raccy ,
but dont lose heart if you get another one at least you will be more prepared with the knowledge you have gained.
good luck with all future ones.