Small tank. What filter?

damien

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Danny
I have a small tank for my juvies (40*25*25), but I still don't have a filter. I tried one of those small electric filters, but those magnitised fans are too weak to handle the speed or something.. they just start to rattle.. and that results in a very annoying noise. I'm looking for a small air filter, so I only need 1 electric device plugged in. (I want to split the airstream to my axie tank and shrimp tank) I need 2 filters in total, but the only ones I can find are about 1/4 the size of the tank or something.
I'll most likely need another pump as well, since the one I have now had enough trouble keeping a steady airflow in 2 brine shrimp hatcheries.
Does anyone know what filters I can use?

For juvies, I like using a large air pump that I've split into 2 sponge filters (one on either side).

In tanks this small size I use sponge filters, too. I have a bigger membrane-airpump supplying several tanks / filters with air.

Just use one air pump. Split the flow into the axie tank and the shrimp tank. A sponge filter would work, or you could just skip the filter, and use only an airstone. Either way, you will have to clean out at least some of the "dirt" by hand.

A sponge filter.. I can't picture one that isn't electric.. can someone link me a picture or something?

...should look like this one or with the same principle:

MFB08_k.jpg

Similar to the sponge filter posted above are box or corner filters. There is a picture of one here. These filters are powered by a simple air line and can provide bio filtration and chemical filtration depending upon the type of media you add. I personally really love sponge filters as they provide the necessary biofiltration and are quite cheap to buy and power. Box filters are another favorite of mine.

I've never seen one of those sponge filters, but I'll keep an eye out for them.. I'm sure they sell them over here.

hey, there should be enough space to get a HMF in every tank. I usually have HMF in all tanks even the smallest 25l-tank driven by one air-lift pump on the picture:

becken1305.jpg

okay ... I could have used 3cm foam ... its 5cm on the pic ... but it works very well.

Hey Dietmar,

What's an HMF filter? Google doesn't give me any hits for that acronym and I've never really seen anything like it. Is it a trickle filter? It looks like something I've seen in marine tanks before. A little more information would be great.

oups ... sorry, I thought "Hamburger Mattenfilter" [HMF] is known all over the world. Its a very simple and very biological method for filtering tank water. You just need an air-lift pump and foam. Even its german text you might see how it works by looking at the pics on that side: http://www.lotls-in-hamburg.de/html/lotls_in_hamburg_-_mattenfilte.html

I found an old corner filter.. and installed that one. It's with carbon chunks.. is that ok for axies?

I think I need another airpump, since my current one can't handle that filter together with an airstone :)

I must admit I was wondering what the HMF filter is as it appears very simple, will have another look on your link...but no doubt I'll be distracted by those gorgeous axolotl's again!!

I really like these "HMF" filters. However, the problem is... where to get the foam! The only way to get this kind of foam is to purchase some kind of electronic equipment via mail, and sometimes it is packaged in such foam. Not a good source, and may be not even aquarium-safe material.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back