Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

raising triops

salamanderguy

Reaction score
im trying to raise triops for my asorted newts and im having a hard time getting them started due to the larvae not being able to get enough algea cysts. do you know if i could put in liquifed spinach or the algea used to feed brine shrimp instead to feed the newly hatched larvae?

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I raise triops quite a bit (not for food). I had good luck with just any old sinking fish food pellet that I can get from a petstore. When the triops are small I just crush the pellet very fine.

Also what size newt are you feeding the triops to? Triops can get up to two inches in length and are know to be able to eat amphibians. Also triops thrive in warm water so I'm not sure how well they would survive in cold temperatures that caudates live in for long periods of time.

I'm not sure how much nutrients they'd offer to caudates either. If you get it to work I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

Also, why triops? There are plenty of other perfect foods for newts. By all means give it a go, but is there any special reason why you want to feed them triops?

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
So you don't feed them? But yes, they would look nice in a tropical tank. I hear that if you have enough of them in one tank they can keep it fairly clean.

iturnrocks

Reaction score
I thought a Triops would mike a nice addition to my larval smallmouth sallies tank. Triops and fairy shrimp are found naturally where this salamander was collected.

sal_vs_triops2.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!