bleeding axie with fungus on gills

raccy87

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
raccy87
hi i have a axie that i got a few days ago ( i hadnt cycled the tank didnt know about it) i noticed she wasnt right fri-sat night she was swimming up and down the tank not hitting the glass though and not thrushing tonight she has blood in the bottom of her bowl i have had her in a container in the fridge i put her there this morning after a salt bath i am not sure what to do and it looks like she is still bleeding what can i do to help her i dont want her to die!!!! the water was fine she also hasnt eaten since thursday evening

Nitrate 0
amonia 0
Ph 7.2

The readings of the water parameters sound okay so far - do you know nitrite, too? And what kind of tests did you use?

Continually swimming mostly is a sign of stress - could you give us some more information about the tank setup (temperature, filtration, soil, interior) and the axolotls itself (size, age, food you tried)?

Sorry to hear about your little axolotl.
I think placing her in the fridge is the right thing to do, make sure the container has alid and is covered by a towel , this is to stop the light disturbing her when the door is opened. Whilst she is in the fridge you will need to do daily water changes, keep a bottle of dechlorinated water ready in the fridge for the next change..this will be at the correct temp. so she won't get too shocked whilst you carry this out. I think your little axolotl is rather stressed by something..possibly the water quality or maybe even possible gravel impaction. If she is pregnant she may be more active, my female whilst laying eggs seemed quite frantic in her movements..(out of interest do you have any plants etc in your current tank?.) I was worried at the time, but after she finished I made sure she was left well alone and I covered the tank with a towel too .You'll need to do salt baths daily ..hopefully some one will give you clear instructions on how to carry this out as I can't remember the exact details.
Do you know where she is actually bleeding from? I wouldn't overly worry about her feeding yet, she probably won't while she is like this. Try to leave her in as much peace and quiet as possible to let her calm down. Being in the fridge you will get a better idea of what she may be passing.

she was in the big tank it had plastic plants and pebbles at least 5cm big i got this size because it was recommended at the axalotl web site she was rather big when i got her and she came from a tank with no pebbles i have been getting the tests done at the local pet shop as i dont have one of my own YET i have tryed giving her beef heart and live fish but i think she might not be chasing them more worrying bout her gills i have put her in a ceramic dish tonight as to hide her from my father he doesnt think it is very hygienic to have them in the fridge and also to try to not have her so stressed i have moved the other three into a smaller tank into my room as they wont get to much attention or desturbed in there until the bigger tank is ready for them, this tank has nothing in it until tomorrow, i dont know what the temperature of the tank has been though i have been putting ice blocks in there just in case, another question i wanted to ask was will they be alright in the smaller tank until tomorrow with out a filter? i imagine so but just to double check i havent had time to look it up on the site sorry guys and girls :) any way thanks for your help

sorry about the story i forgot to add that she is around 20-23 cms i dont know what age i got her from the pet shop and didnt think to askand the only other thing i know is she is brown.

Last edited:
It's hard to read for someone like me (being non-native) without any punctuation so maybe next post you could place a dot now and then... :eek:

Your axolotl will be okay for a day without filtration; in quarantine tanks I don't have any filters either but do regularly water changes.

Do you have a picture of the axolotl? I'm not sure wether it's simply a fungus or something different. The treatment of fungus is with salt baths: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

For an axolotl this size it is no problem if it does not eat for some days; I feed mine once or twice a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back