Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Angry axie!

coco1200

Reaction score
I put my hand in the tank and one of my axies started attacking it!
i was moving my hand around and it was following me everywhere pecking me!

is this normal? or were they just hungry lol!

g_k

Reaction score
sounds hungry lol

if you hand feed a lot, fingers are assumed to bring food. mine do it and then look up at me as if to say "well where is it?"

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My axies "attack" anything that moves in or outside the tank (except for eachother). I watched a couple of flies land on a floating plant over the summer and my leustic axolotl was on it the instant it landed. There was an interesting post recently titled "axolotl fishing" in which the drawstrings from a hooded sweater were dangling over the axolotl tank and the owner ended up catching two with those drawstrings. No worries!

Saspotato

Reaction score
Yea sounds like mine. After a few weeks (I'd imagine he started linking me with his food supply) he started attacking anything I put in the tank, fingers, turkey baster, etc. Now even when I look over the tank he will swim up to the surface expecting food :p

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi coco,

Thats normal axie behaviuor they will chase anything that they think may be food.

coco1200

Reaction score
oh ok! thanks for the reasurence guys.
i really love axies!
i have 4 lecustic and theyre really interesting to watch!
i must say they are my favorite pet!.
but one thing i have trouble in keeping is the temprature!
some days its 21 degrees, but on most its 23.
theres no heater in the tank and ive switched off all the radiators.
how can i lower this?

kapo

Reaction score
Move tank away from any direct light or heat sources (ie windows/lights/lamps or heaters). If possible move to the coolest room in the house. Internal filters will also warm a tank up.

Using a fan (we use pedestal fans as they can be raised and angled) blowing across the tankwater surface can bring the tank temperature down a couple of degrees... Here are some other cooling methods: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1