Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axies in love?

evilaxies

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi gang!
our axies were bought at the same time, had been sharing a small 1ft plastic tank for a month before we got them, so they seem to get along really well. Here's a couple of pics [not great] of them 'hugging'. They seriously do this all the time, they seem to be comfortable when the other is close by. Even when we put them in their new larger tank, they seemed to find each other and hang out before they explored their new home. Is this a sexual thing or is it normal for them to be such good friends?

Attachments

• axies12.jpg
    axies12.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 209
  • axies13.jpg
    axies13.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,456

Saspotato

Reaction score
Aww they look so sweet!!!

I don't know if it is normal or a sexual thing or whatever... but they seem happy with each other's company :D

ianclick

Reaction score
I must say it looks like it, but axies aren't known for this type of courting behaviour so it might be love but not lust.

I have three axies, the two youngest seem to enjoy a very tactile relationship where as the oldest one prefers solitude. They all share the same tank.

I have caught them in what looked to all intensive purposes like some axie "menage e toi" or a three axie stack unfortunately they were quicker than my camera.

evilaxies

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm not sure of there age, although one seems to be older / bigger than the other. You can probably tell by the pics that the lucifer [dark one] has a full tail, whilst lilith [the light one] seems to have had hers either bitten off or ammonia was too high where they were kept beforehand, so it's 'dissolved' or something. They do love each other though, no agro biting or missing limbs [yet] so i hope they stay that way!! it's funny though, they both let each other get 'on top' so there's no 'bullying' or anything, they just seem to like each other lots!!

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine love each other too! They often kiss; see the grin on Gills' face as Sally pecks him on the cheek?

:D

Attachments

• kissing axies.JPG
    kissing axies.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 277

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

my axolotls seem to like some body contact now and then, too - they often stack in one corner or cave althought there are more alternatives in the tank. I would not say that they share something like friendship or love, though, considering their tiny brain... ;)

As for your pics: Can you see if they are trying to gulp some air when they are floating like this? It looks a little bit as if one tries to use the other to get closer to the surface...

evilaxies

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
gulping air

yeah, they do gulp air every now and then. but it doesn't look like one is trying to use the other to get close to the surface. although, the little one hangs on top of the plants a lot, maybe to stay close to top? funny thing with my axies, is they are heaps more swimmers than walkers. is that normal? also, we notice that when we put our heads close to water surface and talk to them, they definitely come up to us and look at us. i don't know how 'blind' they are, but they definitely recognise us and come over to us, even from the other side of the glass! i don't think it's just because they think they are getting fed either, they just seem to be friendly and love us!! [we hope!]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1