Dobrogicus problem

terrytherat

Reaction score
Country
England
a few days ago one of my male Dobrogicus has lost part of his leg at the elbow, he looks ok but has gone off his food and seems to be looking for a way out of the tank (he is fully aquatic) he is sharing a 4ft tank with 4 females and another male should i give him any special treatment (ie medication, seperate him)
i cant work out how this has happened they are well fed so dont feed over agressively.
any suggestions Terry

hi Terry...i think you need to seperate him , he's not feeding as he still feels threatened. I wouldn't treat the wound just yet as that will cause more stress just keep an eye for infection setting in. I use tap water for the first few days even with axies to fight bacteria until the wound heals, you may find he will resume feeding when he has been on his own for a time.

i have already seperateded him (I done it last night) and i got him to eat by putting some large daphnia in with him, i find that if you are having trouble with your newts not feeding they snap at daphnia in aggresion. so far so good, also i put him in pondwater to see how he goes in that, but i will change it to tapwater on your suggestion.
thanks for your help Ian

For water, use whatever is similar to what he had in his previous tank. I wouldn't recommend abruptly changing him from pond water to tap, as there could be a big disparity in pH, etc.

I agree that separation was a good move. Does he have an ample island area in his quarantine tank? Even if he is crested, he may be interested in leaving the water temporarily.

the p h of my tapwater is very close to the water that my newts are maintained in and they have always got an escape from the water even though i try to keep them aquatic.
thank you very much for the advice, i think he is going to be ok :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back