Would pond water help in cycling?

Farom

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is just something I have been curious about. There is a wetland preserve in the middle of my neighborhood and it got me thinking if maybe a little pond water could help speed along a tank in the cycling process? I understand there are tons of little critters in pond water including parasites, etc. which may pose a problem.
Looking forward to some good responses. :)

Hi Farom,

Like all good things Cycling is best left to time.

There are many aids on the market that preport to enhance and or speed up the cycling process and many chemical additives to help in dealing with all manner of water issues.

Personally I would not use pond water because I would have no control over issues like leachates and fertilizers so I wouldnt know what I was adding to the tank not to mention parasites and fungus. Assuming you are talking about an outdoor pond but this would also depend on the size, location and whether it was a man made or natural pond.

I would say that it wouldn't help the cycling process by speeding it up and I would suggest it may introduce more hassles than it would cure.

Just a thought, or two

Besides the excellent reasons that Ian provided, pond water would not be terribly effective because the nitrifying bacteria tend to grow on objects in biofilms and are not free swimming (planktonic). The amount of bacteria you would add to the tank would be very small and may not survive in your aquarium especially considering all the little protozoans that eat bacteria in pond water.

With amphibian diseases being as widespread as they are I wouldn't want to risk my animals by possibly exposing them either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back