Emerged newts won't eat

newtbie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have newly emerged newts - 2 of the 5 larvae are terrestrial now. Unfortunately, the 2 land-lubbers won't eat, but the three remaining aquatic dudes are eating lots of larvae. Is this normal? I'm worried!

From your previous post (http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50507) we never did resolve the issue of what species these are. At this point, it is actually very important to know exactly what species they are. Some species can be kept in a semi-aquatic setup after morph, some need a terrarium type setup. The choice of housing will dictate, to some extent, what you can feed them.

What foods have you tried? And in what manner where they offered? Do you have a source of live blackworms or other live food?

Exactly how long have they been out of the water? It's normal for them not to eat for the first week or so. But they should start eating after that point.

They are the fire belly type that is good with the aquatic setup. I don't know if it's Chinese or Japanese, but the local store where the parents came from has them in an almost completely aquatic habitat. Their current setup is an aquarium with a couple of landforms, and filtration. They have been eating frozen bloodworms and the odd frozen brine shrimp.
eta: They actually have been fed by dangling the worms in front of their faces. Also, it's been about 2 weeks since the first emerged guy has eaten. :(

Last edited:
Cynops morphs rarely stay in the water through choice and will, in most cases, need a terrestrial phase. When you say landforms what exactly do the terrestrial ones have? They will need hides and cover to make them feel secure – insecurity may lead to stress and non-feeding. The behaviour of aquatic pre-morphs and terrestrial morphs is often quite different. An animal that will boldly snatch at worm in the water may be terrified of them when they emerge onto land. What food items are you feeding them with on land? I would try moving the terrestrial ones to a soil based set-up with a small water dish. Give them lots of hides and provide them with small live prey items. For example: lesser waxworms, small chopped earthworms, live blackworms, tropical woodlice, hatchling crickets, spring tails and fruit flies. Frozen foods may not be accepted by new morphs.

Good luck.

Just an update: all three dudes have emerged now, none have eaten yet! We have added more terrestrial habitat, and a bunch of cover with silk plants. In the meantime, I'm going to search for a source for live foods. Thanks for your advice...I will keep posting updates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back