stress

Lisa

Reaction score
Country
Australia
How do you know if your axie is getting stressed, before it gets sick? Other than checking water flow, parameters and them having lots of hiding spots.... what signs will they give you that it's all getting too much?:confused:

Hi Lisa have a look at www.axolotl.org its has some great photos of stressed axies.

Gills pointing forward and curling of the tail tip are two signs

I would say just being vigilant. I tend to spend a fair ammount of time gazing at my little beasties ( well one not so little) and if any behaviour seems different from norm then I start with doing a full check on the water tests and elliminate what we know as the obvious stressers of axolotl. I had a 'scare' last night when Jeffrey started doing a strange sort of cork screw movement while swimming along his tank. I have checked every thing and all seems fine, but I'll still keep a good watch in case any thing else occurs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back