Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt with Loss of appetite

etcballs

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Hello,

I have one Fire-Bellied Newt, which has been fine for about a month on his own, but just recently he has stopped eatting.
I have been feeding him every 3 days with frozen bloodworms, but he hasnt eaten anything for about a week.

He is very lethagic as well, he is very content on sitting on his rock or plant with his head out of the water.

I thought to start with it was the water, but having tested both the temperature and the nitrate level, this is not the case.

I put in a smaller tank for an hour, while cleaning out his tank yesterday, and it seemed to perk him up a little bit, with only a centimeter of water in the bottom of the tank, but he is back to the way he was now!

I have put in some frozen brine shrimp tonight to see if he will eat that, but so far, he has just sat on his rock.

Please help...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am wondering if it was one of two things..do newts slow down when colder ? I have axolotl and they have since the temps drop. I was also wondering if they might be better fed with live food...maybe bloodworm etc. I suspect if he see's something wriggling he might just pounce and eat, might be worth a try.

etcballs

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I have been trying to get hold of some live bloodworms, but the petshop keep forgetting to order them.

If anyone knows of anywhere in Chesterfield I can get hold of some, that would be great.

Im not sure about the temperature thing, but will do some research.

Thanks

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was the newt previously aquatic and now spending its time out of water? I agree with Peter, I wouldn't worry too much yet.

etcballs

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I put in some frozen brine shrimp for a change last night, and he seemed to have eaten most of them.

He was mostly aquatic when we first got him, its only recently he likes to be out of the water, i was wondering if he is just bored..

I have some live bloodworm on order, but the pet shop is useless and keeps forgetting to order it, hopefully this weekend they will have some in!

I will stop panicing for now, thanks for all the advice

dani

Reaction score
etcballs, dartfrog.co.uk is a good place for obtaining livefood for newts, they sell bloodworm and lots of other live cultures by fbn's are lucky I live right next to an aquarium store that always seems to have plenty live bloodworm i ordered them a whiteworm culture which arrived today however, nothing wrong with a bit of variety.
thats good to hear that he's eaten something hopefully he will be fine, 3 of my newts have never even entered the water yet the water quality is fine and theres not much going on to stress them i think they're still jueveniles.

if your newt seems to prefer land at the moment you could always try feeding him some pin head crickets my terrestrial red efts love those!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1