Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

basic questions (sorry)

laurag

Reaction score
Hi
Apologies if these questions have been asked recently - I've had a look through old posts etc but am aware that it won't have been an exhaustive search. I have a trio of C orientalis which laid loads of eggs last year from which I have 2 little guys. A couple of questions:

1. The adults didn't lay at all this year - reading on this site, my guess is that they didn't get cold enough over winter. Is this a likely explanation and if so, how cold do they want to get and for how long?

2. The 2 juveniles are feeding pretty well on Drosophila. Is this OK as a complete diet until they need something bigger? Should I be dusting them? Or feeding something else?

Thanks!!

rigsby

Reaction score
have you moved the tank at all ,possibly away from a natural light sorce. I used to keep mine in my garage where the temps drop down to around 4-5 degrees and they were fine but i also kept them where the temp never dropped below 20 and they still bred but had natural light so the day length must also affect thier breeding.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drosophila, like most insects, are a poor source of calcium. So yes, you should be dusting them. Since you have only 2 juvs, I would encourage you to try to train them to hand-feed from a toothpick or tweezers. Then you can feed chopped earthworm, which is usually well-loved and nutritionally excellent. If you can get them to take it, they'll grow so fast you won't believe it.

Here is some information that might be helpful:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!