air bubbles

I´m supossing you´re talking about larvae. They might have swallowed some air, that´s a possiblity...another possibility is that you are keeping them in inapropiate water..i´ve seen larvae get bloated because of the chlorine. The last possibility is bloat, which can be caused by different causes. Search the site, there are some topics about bloat and how to deal with it. good luck.

Some of my axolotl larvae would develope air bubbles in their stomach/intestine area. I think I read it may be caused by a number of things such as not feeding them as frequently as one should. I suspect it one of two things, firstly as my lot eat they gulp their food , as they where kept in shallow trays I suspect a mouthfull of air may have been taken in with the food. and the other is that their digestion may be a little erratic ( think babies and colic ...never again!!) and bubbles form, sometimes they recovered .

thanks for the replies, i had the young newts about 2 weeks old in a 3 gallon tank indoors their water was spot on, but about 6 of them filled with bubbles in their gut i took them out and put them in very shallow water after 12 hours they would be ok, i would return them to their tank and ater a day they would fill with bubbles again,(i was feeding them with microwoms and very small daphnia) now i have put them outside in a 4ft planted tank and they have now been there 3 days with no problems.
I just cant make out what was causing the problem in the 1st place :confused:

I don't know what the exact cause is, but your experience sounds normal. They are much more likely to have this problem if they are in "new" or "simple" containers, and much less likely if they are in a cycled planted tank, or in an outdoor enclosure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back