help frog to salamander disease

salamanderguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
theres a disease that killed some of my frogs i was wondering if it would jump to my salamanders and i was wondering if anybody would know what the disease was also.
the syphtoms are as follows:bloating , back leg muscle tremors, when they are close to death they lose all muscle control and lay on there front legs with there back legs stretched out behind them.

sounds bacterial and would almost certainly pass from frog to newt..

I can't help you with the disease itself but I do not understand how the disease should pass from frog to newt - are they in the same tank? If they are (and that would be a bad idea - btw. what kind of frog and newt are we talking about?) it very well may be that it may pass to the newts if it is infectious.
If they do not share the same tank it is a question of hygienics - always thoroughly wash your hands when you have to do something in both tanks, do not use anything from the frog tank in the newts tank or always disinfect it (f.i. tweezers, nets and so on).

And to know anything that would stop it it would be necessary to know exactly what it is...

i believe it came in with some southren toads and they died then it killed my american toads and i only have one left. and know i sure one of my pacman frogs is affected.

If it is not too late you will want to begin a really stringent quarantine process. Separate all infected animals or those with suspected infections physically. Separate cages in a separate room of the house that does not exchange much air with healthy animals. Do not use implements between cages. Take care of your healthy animals first and then vigorously wash your hands before maintaining the sick animals. Never move between without washing your hands.

Disinfect all cages that housed ill animals by adding a 1:10 dilution of bleach to the enclosure after clearing the aquarium out and allowing it to soak for several hours. Bake all wood items (350F for at least 30 minutes) or boil them, discard substrate and bleach non-porous cage items such as rocks. Carefully cleanup so as not to cross contaminate (i.e. leaving substrate on a counter and then later placing your feeding tongs there.)

This is all assuming that the illness sweeping through your animals is infectious. It really stresses the importance of good quarantining when you receive new animals.

Yes, do EVERYTHING the above poster says. I've lost entire collections when something nasty came "sweeping through". And if you have several terrestrial tanks, gnats can carry the problem from tank to tank even if you are very scrupulous. So keep the tanks covered with a cloth if you have gnats.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back