Tiger Salamander breeding!!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
How would I go about breeding my tiger salamanders? Its fall now and maybe I should put them in a cooler enclosure for acouple weeks then back to warmer temps? I've never breed these guys before 1male 2females all adults. If anyone has any knowledge about this let me know

tigers (most all mole salamanders actually) are tough to breed, not to many have done it(or at least documented it), but to my understanding it takes a very large enclosure, with a large water part, that has to be relatively deep, you would also need some type of rain system

The only documented captive breedings of tiger sals that I'm aware of were either induced with hormones, or happened in large outdoor enclosures. Unless you have a lot of time and space and are handy with building things, I'd say forget about it. Just keep them as cool as possible in winter (for their health), and enjoy them as non-breeding pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back