New

ikermalli

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I am looking to buy a paddle tail newt sometime this or next weekend. I wanted to know what size tank he needs, how his enviroment should be set up and what should I feed him? I just thought I would ask the experts before I go out and get myself into a big mess. Thank you for any help!

-ikermalli

Thank you for that! That was really helpful, but I still do not know if the whole tank should be with water. And also are marbles okay to use in the tank or is gravel better? Also how many plants and is raw beef okay to feed it or do I have to go and buy frozen worms or something to that extent? Also how much do they cost?

Last edited:
I have two paddletail newts (kept in separate tanks) and though I provide floating islands and haul outs for them, neither one of them use any land. They seem to be the most aquatic of all my newts. And I think gravel or marble would be fine, as long as whatever you use is too large for a newt to swallow. I myself use bare bottom tanks, because I think this makes it easier to keep clean.
The only plants I use are pothos cuttings, I let them just float around the tank. You could also use plants like java moss, java fern, elodia, hornwort, anything that does OK in low light and cool water.
I would not feed my animals beef, its not something they would eat in the wild and I think there are more nutritious foods available like earthworms, black worms, blood worms, dusted crickets, etc. Read this: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml
As far as their cost, I have no idea! My first paddletail was a gift from a friend, and my second I got for free from my local classified from someone who no longer wanted it.
Good luck with your future newt, and I think its great you are doing research prior to purchasing it. Please ask any more question you may have,
Heather

Thank you for that help! I really badly want a paddle tail but unfortunately I have called 7 pet stores near me and none of them have any. Except for one PJs Pet Center who are getting newts tomorrow which I have to call them and ask about

Dit you think about cycling your tank?

yes I did, I also go on another forum and one person knows alot about newts, she is actually going to give me one and she said I must cycle my tank and also I read on an information site that they like floating islands, is that what I should be buying? Also can I buy silk plants instead of real plants? My LPS does sell java fern but I know nothing about how to take care of live plants

I have to agree that most of the paddletails I've seen remained aquatic, but there's always the chance that they may use a land area on occasion. I just pile up rocks in my tank for a land area. Others used clay flower pots(not used previously). Floating islands work too. It's really up to your personal taste.

As for the plants, I recommend them if you have an aquarium lit with flourescent full spectrum lighting. Aquatic plants can reduce algae growth in the tank. They can also be a great place for your newts to hang out. Some things like java moss or duckweed can get out of hand and need trimmed back over time, I don't have this problem with java fern. If you don't have that type of lighting or any type of full spectrum but you like the look of plants, silk works too! Make sure to check this out if you haven't already:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups.shtml

Most important, have fun! Setting up an aquarium is a creative and rewarding process. :)

alright thenI guess I will be getting java fern and maybe a little java moss. I will also be getting the driftwood

my paddletails never left the water. But i always left one rock breaking the surface of the water. They are a great species to keep, bursting with personality. Good Luck!

Thank you, I guess I misunderstood the person who was giving me the newt, she said they are going to be firebellies. Are they as fun to keep? Where did you get your paddle tails?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back