I need some advice...

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan
Hey, I just got three N.v.Viridescens that I ordered from Wards the other day. They are sort of small (only 2.5-3 inches). Also they are somewhat skinny, however they do seem for the most part healthy. I was wondering if it would be alright to put them right in with my other two (larger, older) Notos. They seem large enough that there wouldn't be size issues(as far as eating or serious damage). Also, it appears that they recently left the eft stage to become aquatic adults. Are they sexually mature? If not how long will it take? I am hoping that if one of them is female, they will breed in the future. Is it hard to breed notos in captivity?

-thanks for the help( If you can):D

Hey,

although I am not familiar with your newts I would strongly recommend a quarantine - do not let the new ones get in contact with your other newts but watch them carefully for some weeks in a separate tank.
You can not know if they are really healthy just by the look of it. It is better to keep them separate for some weeks than (in the worst case) loose all of your newts because the new ones are infected with something you cannot see.

I agree that quarantine is important. At 2.5-3 inches, they are probably mature adults. It's a small species. Other than size, is there a reason you suspect they were recently efts?

The difficulty in breeding Notos seems to vary with the subspecies.Its not hard to get eggs, but raising them through the eft stage seems to be the kicker. The species that skip the eft stage are easier.

Thanks for the help so far! I will quarantine them for a while, to be safe. I only said that they might have changed recently because of the size (they look about the size of some wild red efts that i have seen). Does size matter in that aspect at all? Thanks for the breeding info, this summer I saw a brand new eft, and i can believe how hard it must be to raise them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back