O_o floating larvae, wont go down

Kudos

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings axolotl fans
I am currently raising 41 young axolotls which range in size from 1inch - 3inches. One of my smaller ones (just growing back legs) has been floating on its side at the top of its container for the last week and a half. It lives with 2 other larvae around the same size and they are fine and lay on the bottom. The floating one still eats but I am wondering what to do with it. Will it eventually stop floating? Is there anything I can do for him/her?

{note: they are currently been fed- blackworms, bits of pellets, daphnia, mosquito larvae, sometimes ghost midge larvae but most of the time they get frozen bloodworms}

Thanks in advance
Kudos:cool:

Last edited:
i would suggest you pop him in a containeron his own, keep the water very shallow with abit of plant maybe to rest on, if you dont want to pop in a plant just use enough water so he can rest on the floor.
it may be stressed or have trapped air.

thanks
its still floating... now for more then 2 weeks... I shall put some plants in to make him/her feel better

Did you separate him/her and lower the water level as suggested - floating on the side continuously for two weeks is not a good thing. Another thing is your water temperature, any idea on what it is? Moving them to a slightly cooler area or even the fridge for a week or so may also help.

I had a small larvae that spent a lot of its time at the top of the tank, in this ones case it was to keep away from the others that where much larger ( 1 inch to approx 3 inches) .
I did notice one day that 2 of the larger ones where nudging Titch into the top corner ( herding) . Unfortunately for Titch I left them and when it came to feeding time he was no longer there..however there was one very fat juvenile who was not interested in the worms that they normally get.
Since this has happened the next smallest one ( approx 2 inches ) has taken to hiding near the top, this one is now held in a seperate container with the intention that when it reaches a more equal size will be re-introduced.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back