Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

OH Press: West G students to testify on behalf of spotted salamander

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
NEWS-HERALD (Willoughby, Ohio) 10 November 07 West G students to testify on behalf of spotted salamander
The Wetlands Education Team, comprised of West Geauga Middle School students, is seeking to call attention to environmental issues by spearheading a campaign for Ohio to designate the spotted salamander as the official state amphibian.
Seventh-graders Isabella Todaro and Kelli Wright and eighth-graders Shawn Cooper, Zak Kucera and Clay McMullen will testify in favor of Senate Bill 240, sponsored by state Sen. Tim Grendell, R-Chester Township, at 11 a.m. Wednesday at a hearing in front of the State and Local Government and Veteran Affairs Committee of the Ohio Senate.
"We're very proud of the WET members for their concern about the environment and for their initiative to bring this issue to the legislature," Grendell said.
"It's rewarding to see these young people become involved in how our government works."
The students met with the senator in the summer to urge him to propose a bill to designate the spotted salamander as the state's amphibian in order to raise awareness of the disappearance of wetlands from the state and the need to protect them.
The spotted salamander uses vernal pools, a type of wetland, to lay its eggs and raise its young. The species is present in most Ohio counties.
Grendell proposed the legislation on Oct. 10 on the floor of the Senate.
Thousands of students from across the state have written postcards to legislators in support of this bill, according to a news release.
Members of WET recently were recognized for their stewardship of public lands by receiving the national Take Pride in America Award and had the opportunity to speak about environmental issues with Secretary of the Department of Interior Dirk Kempthorne.
The group represented West Geauga Middle School as the only school in the country to win this award.
In June, they received the Christopher Columbus Award gold medal, a national science competition that challenges middle school students.
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19011253&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21849&rfi=6

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1