need to know sex of my axie

TASHA

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
XxtashyxX
hi im new to axolotl's ive had my beautiful axie for about 5 months and still dont really know much about it.... im callin it it because ive red the biology and still not really convinced i mean by the info im kinda convinced its a female but still not sure, are there are other breeders here that can u tell me a bit more of its sex????? because im really wanting another axie and thats when i wanna start breeding... my axie's a brown colour and it has no lumpy thing behind its back legs like the male picture shows in biology.... so do u think its a female????....

btw im sorry that ive wrotten so much about walker (btw thats my axies name) im just new and dont know much pet stores dont really help at all.....

thanks

Unless it's sexually mature (which can take between 6 and 18 months), you really can't tell.

i dont know how old it is but its definiatly an adult
i got it from the pet shop and he/she is an adult size axie

If it has no lumpy bit, sounds like a girl! But if you have any pics, please post some :)

When you do get another axie, make sure to quarantine it separately for minimum of 30 days (either in another tank or temporary plastic storage bin; if you don't have one). This is to ensure it's healthy and doesn't pass anything onto your current axie. Don't be tempted to shortcut the process by just putting them together. Quite a few people have done that and then joined this forum because of the sickness and stress problems either one or both axies have shown after being stuck together without quarantining.

If you don't have the space and/or patience to quarantine the new one for the minimum period then it isn't fair on either axolotl (your resident and new one).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back