Alpine tank question

kittski

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
alicia
I uploaded some pics of my tanks in the gallery section and was hoping for some more feedback. Hope it's a OK to post another message here.
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=826&page=1#comment587

I'm getting 3 Mesotriton Alpestris Apuanus juvies from Andrew and they should be here next week. (Yea!!) These will be my first Alpines so I'd appreciate any feedback on the tank. It's 24"x12" and it's filled to 8". There is a second small water area and a filter behind the background which is pretty well sealed off.

I've read several different water depths for Alpines ranging from 8"-20". Any opinions on what's most suitable? Is it planted enough and do you think I need a floating platform or is the log sufficient?

Thanks,
Alicia

The tank looks fine to me. Are the newts juveniles or adults?

I keep my adult M.a.apuanus in 12" deep water with no land, but I normally keep a lot of floating plants in with them just in case they want to haul out onto something, but the log is good enough.

my opinion is, give them as much depth as you can whilst still maintaining a sufficient land mass. Give them shallow areas too if you can, use twisted sticks to make them underwater climbing frames which will allow them to be near the surface if they wish. There can be issues of larvae not getting enough oxygen on the bottom of very deep tanks but if you provide alot of plants and keep water changes regular all should be fine...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back