Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

An introduction to Beej.......

Beej

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I'm beej and I'm a musician and recovering message board addict.

I used to spend hours each day online posting on the myspace music message board. Literally hours.

I would flame and troll and do the whole "We're friends that will never meet, let's be sappy about it" thing. I would post my home made amature recordings and look for approval from the other music snobs who spent there down time on the "fourm". I got it sometimes.

Well I quit message boards cold turkey. And how you ask???

Well my girlfriend got me a 20 gal. tank and equipment pack (light, hood, heater and side-mount filter) and a $200 LFS gift card for my birthday. I set the little guy up with 7 small sized tropicals (I won't get into details as my passion has obviously shifted in recent months) and got started.

A bully of a Gourami was needing segregation and segregated he was. he looked lonely; "He should have a tank mate" my lady said. TO THE LFS!!!!!

So we walk in and asked "anything not a fish in stock for a gourami tank mate?" thinking maybe aquatic frogs or something. He points to a tank of japanese Firebellies and my life as an amature aquarist changed forever.

Now I find we've got a message board to talk about caudata and I've come full circle so fast I feel dizzy.

Good to be here, I'm Beej

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I moved this to the introductions area.

Welcome to the forum Beej. I'm sure many can relate to your story. Are you only keeping firebellies or do you have any other caudates?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I am a message board addict here at caudata.org. Following your program of recovery, perhaps I should become an musician???

Welcome, Beej. We keep the lid on flaming and trolling here, and if we get sappy, it's usually because we're discussing driftwood.

Beej

Banned
Reaction score
I moved this to the introductions area.

Welcome to the forum Beej. I'm sure many can relate to your story. Are you only keeping firebellies or do you have any other caudates?

At this juncture I am focusing on my three (formerly four) firebellies. The mainanence is a little different and I'm on a learning curve as we speak (Gengrich, my lost and now properly laid to rest newt died either from ingested substrate or just general stress in shipping, which, I am not sure, but much larger substrate has been added as both a decorative and functional top layer). I am looking to make the jump to a terestrial/aquatic tank featuring a frog or two and my newts and maybe something from another genus altogether. I was thinking mammalian, though the complications of care I'm sure could prove disasterous....we'll see what direction I go in the coming months.

Beej

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I am a message board addict here at caudata.org. Following your program of recovery, perhaps I should become an musician???

Welcome, Beej. We keep the lid on flaming and trolling here, and if we get sappy, it's usually because we're discussing driftwood.
I can respect and did expect that. I have been creeping this board and getting a feel for the atomosphere, so you need not worry about that. Also I too love driftwood

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1