Boy or girl

malibu barbie

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
We took in this little rescue yesteday and it is such a cutie:)
Could you help me sexing it ???

nybeboer.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

How big is it? From the pictures you've posted I'd say it's too young to sex at this stage, it looks like a juvenile.

I would say about 12 cm long - You are probably right that its to early.

Pretty little thing..I noticed that the axolotl is on gravel, whilst it look nice it can be accidently ingested and cause awful problems with impaction.. when they feed they 'gulp' the food in, also they do like to rummage throught the stones. It would be best to remove it all and maybe use sand or a bare bottom.

Pretty little thing..I noticed that the axolotl is on gravel, whilst it look nice it can be accidently ingested and cause awful problems with impaction.. when they feed they 'gulp' the food in, also they do like to rummage throught the stones. It would be best to remove it all and maybe use sand or a bare bottom.

I know - I know - The pictures was taken in the petshop aquarium, the bottom is bare here with me.

There was 3 given to the petshop from some teen how didnt want them (cant have had them to long, judging on their age)- two white and one brown.

The second white had a very wierd-looking back leg and the brown one was a little to skinny for my taste.

I felt bad leaving the last two there but I decided only to take home this happy little camper :)

I resist going into pet shops now as I know I'll be tempted if I see a newt, I have a tank that will soon be empty!!

Hi Anne,

from your photo looks like a girl but as the others have said it is probably too young to sex. Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has some clear photos and you can make a comparison.

The tips of the toes should change colour dark on light colour types and light on dark colour types when they have reached sexual maturity.

Good Luck

Oh that is such a cute wee Axie, I can't wait until my baby whites are that big and hopefully they will look like him/her :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back