Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie in a Pond?

dogan

Reaction score
How would a axolotl cope in a pond with a large goldfish and a small goldfish?
The small goldfish has never nipped at the big ones tail, it does nothing but follow it around.
The large goldfish could of eaten the smaller one already but still they swim around together so i dont think that they would cause much trouble.

So how would my axolotl be in a pond? The pond is quite large, it is more than likely to be cycled. The only problem other than little nipping would be the small algaeish things floating in the water. Would they stick to her gills?

i dont think the large goldfish would even try to attack the axolotl because, it is quite old all it does is stay in its tunnel or swim around very slowly, the tiny goldfish just follows it around. If they were to nip her there would be plenty of room for the axolotl to hide or to swim somewhere else.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been toying with this idea for the future...if I ever move from our current home.

Firstly regarding fish, the general rule is that iether the fish will nibble on the axolotl ( the gills may look like yummy worms) and cause damage, or your axolotl will have a lovely time hunting/ stalking the fish and probably eat them.

Your pond would need to be very secure from predators, my pond contains goldfish in various sizes plus a couple of native frogs..i have a net directly over the pond but my cats caught some fish and frogs, so i then added another layer of net in a tent like fashion over the pond ..and the cats got my big fish..finally I have placed some small holed mesh along the sides and so far all is accounted for. It would also be needed in case your axolotl decided to take a walk.

Regarding the small algaeish creatures I am not sure, more likely than not be eaten by the axy or the fish so may not pose a problem.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

in principle it is possible to keep axolotls in a pond if the parameters are okay (especially temperature over there in Australia).

Nevertheless I see some problems involved:
At first the gold fish - I am not sure that they won't try to nibble on the axolotls gills, at least causing it stress.
Then there is the point with predators (cats, maybe martens and several birds, f.i. herons or something like it; I do not know what birds you have over there). There is not only a danger to the Axolotl to get caught but to environment, too. There is always a possibility that some animal may catch an Axolotl and let it loose in natural waters. It's a very slight chance but a chance nevertheless. And if let loose, Axolotls may cause a lot of damage to native fauna if ever they can survive and breed.

So I agree with bella that you should take special care in securing the pond against predators in the first place.

dvsgal

Reaction score
If you do it, must be in a spot where there is lots of shade and its gotta be deep (its cooler down the bottom and more safe from birds). Its to risky tho, the 40+ summer heat will kill them. Its hard enough keeping them cool in tank.

dogan

Reaction score
i was thinking about doing this as i will be gone for awhile and my dad wont be able to take care of it properly.
But instead ill just let my cousin look after it. He knows how to look after them so it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for your inputs tho.

naymo

Reaction score
i dont think putting a axolotl in a pnd over here is a good idea as we have a pond also with goldfish in it, and the temperature rises to be more then 23 degrees.
Also a pond is harder to control parameters.

ianclick

Reaction score
The main concern with an outside pond is water quality given that in rainy times it will be susceptible to ground water run off so you would need to have it raised or you won't know what leachates/fertilisers might be finding there way into your pond.

Cool idea though definately food for thought

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1