Diarrhea - What do I do?

Jewels

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I noticed this morning that there was a large amount of what appears to be diarrhea on the land portion of my newt tank. I have 2 "oregon" newts (Kenny and Spenny) in a 10 gallon tank. I have had them together for one year and have never seen anything like this. I'm not sure which one produced the waste but it does strike me as something I should be alarmed about. Google.com has been incredibly frustrating to find out what may be wrong with them. If this question or information regarding this topic has already been posted then I apologize for posting again. If you could provide me the link to where I can find this information on the site, I would really appreciate it. I love those little guys and want to do what I can to help them.

Thanks a bunch!

Can you tell us what you feed them?

They get one pellet of either frozen bloodworms or frozen brineshrimp to share every other day. I'll feed them one pack of bloodworms until it is gone and then get the shrimp and they will only eat that until it is gone and then I switch back. The only thing that has changed is that we moved two weeks ago. The food they had during the move did thaw out a bit but I put it back in the freezer as soon as I could and they ate it up normally and have been for two weeks. I fed them yesterday and this morning when I went to say hello to them the food was gone but the diarrhea was on the rock.

If they are still eating I would chalk it up to stress. Keep an eye on them, maybe replace your food with fresher stuff and see where it goes. For these guys I also recommend some chopped earthworm now and again. It is nutritious and really helps keep the body mass high.

Is it possible that the poo started out looking normal, but they tracked it around? Or could it be a glob of shed skin, similarly tracked around, rather than poo? Newt poo on land is usually rather smeary to begin with, so I'm trying to imagine what diarrhea might look like. Is there any chance it was something else that fell there?

I would throw away any food that didn't stay frozen, just to be on the safe side.

Apparently I'm just retarded. I started cleaning the tank and my boyfriend came to investigate the "diarrhea" and began laughing at me. When I fed them last, it was dark and I was tired and didn't pay attention to where their food fell. It fell on the dry part of their tank and melted. It was just a mass of melted brine shrimp, that's all. :blush:

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious at all. I fed them last night since they didn't get to eat the day before and when I checked on them this morning all of the food was gone and they seemed perfectly content. Oh well, at least they got a clean tank out of my silliness.

Thanks for your help anyway, everyone. I appreciate it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back