Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axel.

Lisa

Reaction score
I'm worried about my axie yesterday and today. He's normally quite active and swims quite a lot, but much less so yesterday and today. And he's sort of on a slight angle, like a boat tilting to one side, but only sometimes. He ate a caterpillar yesterday that I found on our basil, but yesterday wasn't otherwise a feeding day so that was all. Will try later today.
I've tested his water and no ammonia or nitrite and ph 7.4 and temp 21c, which is what it pretty much is all the time. We've had a few hot days prior to the last couple, but i've had frozen bottles of water in his tank keeping it to 22c and he seemed ok then, but flat for the last day. No obvious fungus or injury.
Should I just see if he eats and give it some time? He was quite underwt when we got him, and gills were quite short and not very frilly, and he passed gravel the same day (four weeks ago), but has gained weight, very frilly gills and longer now and no furthur gravel passed which I thought meant he was overall in better shape. Though he's not grown at all lengthwise I don't think.
:(

Last edited:

Lisa

Reaction score
Eating

Well I just fed him and he ate a whole cube of frozen bloodworms, so that's a good sign. Still seems very quiet though.:confused:

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi lisa,

That is good news. 22 degrees is a wee bit on the hot side, I know its hot in Aussie at the moment having just got back from Cairns.

If you can get your temp down to 18 degrees celcius it would help alot.

Good Luck

Lisa

Reaction score
He seems much better since eating yesterday. Seems to be one that likes to swim a lot and planning to get him a bigger tank soon so he can, and think I'll look into the fan option to cool it more. But he's back to swimming around and not looking "droopy" anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!