I think that's it for me

Beej

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Beej
I like this place, but a posting limit of 8 posts per 24 hours doesn't work for me. thanks for the advice I've had from the 13 posts I have unreasonably made in the last 24 hours

Hoping you guys up the limit to at least 25,
Beej

The purpose of the posting limit is to keep members from going off topic. This is a professional forum. There is rarely any reason to post more than 8 posts per day (as the posting limit can be overlooked if warranted). If you feel the need to have further conversations on a subject, there is a chat room, as well as private messages.

Hmm then I think you may have dropped the ball. This is the first and only thread i have started or taken part in that had nothing to do with newts and newt care.

Yours,
Beej

Beej,

I enjoy your enthusiasm and all of the questions that you have asked. However, this post seems to work against those who will be willing to help you. I think many would appreciate a humble bowing out and not taking this to the next level. If there is an issue that you have with the structure of the site, I suggest bringing it up with an administratior (John, or Jennewt) through a private message or using the link to contact the webmaster. They should be able to answer the questions that you have.

I hope to see your positive posts around the site soon!

I think two things that set me back in life and in situations like these are my hatred of limits and authority and my lack of brain/mouth filter.

I also feel they can be my biggest asset.

Humility is always an option and one I rarely choose.

Would I have posted this thread after thinking it over for an hour?? No

Do i stand behind its underlying sentiment?? Absolutely

I felt slighted and shocked that a discussion board would hand out demerit points for too many on topic discussions and I still feel that way.

I've also decided to continue posting as much as I like. I'll maintain on-topic posting as I have since the first post and if i get banned, too bad but my newts will live without this message board to bounce ideas around.

Wow, there's an 8-posts-per-day limit? Had no idea. Good to know, mods already don't like me so another infraction and I'd probably be banned.:nono:
Its surprising that a message board would actually implement such a thing.

The reason the rule was started is that we would get people coming here and posting lots of posts that would say "that's cool" or "Nice picture" or just silly things. I guess they were doing it just for idle fun, or to boost their post count. You are clearly not doing this, Beej. As long as your posts are on-topic, no problem. Eight is a guideline, not a hard and fast limit. However, the "lack of brain/mouth filter" could present other problems, and you would do well to approach this board with at least some filtration. You should re-read the rules that you agreed to when you joined and see if there are any other rules you cannot abide.

Also , having just had a quick re-read, I have no problem with any of the other rules.

Althuogh I still want my points back. :)

By the way, you do have the ability to go back and edit your own posts (for some period of time, I'm not sure for how long). This is preferable to posting separate posts only a few minutes apart. And if you are thinking of posting what we decide to be a gross excess of 8/day, you'll continue to get those points docked;)

This is a top notch site with a wealth of information offered. In fact, there is information here that is very difficult to find elsewhere (at least in English). The rules that are in place have come about for legitimate reasons. You may not agree all of them but a little respect for all of the people that make this site what it is should be in order. The moderators have been more than diplomatic in their responses to this thread, which I personally think is an obvious attempt to create controversy.
Chip

If you've got more than 8 posts you absolutely need to post every 24 hours, you've got bigger issues than we can help you with here. The 8 post rule helps the rest of us deal with excited newbies that could find many of their questions answered through some well thought out searches here, and throughout the web, but turn the rest of us off and away with their "stream-of-consciousness-if-I-think-it-then-I-type-it" barrage of questions and observations, only to fizzle out after a few weeks/months and never be heard from again. Think quality, not quantity, and life as a whole becomes fullfilling, not just filling.

That said - Welcome, and I hope we can help you further enjoy the wonderful world of caudates! There are some wonderful resources here, clearly the best on the web (in English, at least), so sit back, think carefully, be patient, and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Brian

Oh, and nice music! sincerely!

Wow, there's an 8-posts-per-day limit? Had no idea. Good to know, mods already don't like me so another infraction and I'd probably be banned.:nono:

If you were given an infraction or warning it had nothing at all to do with a moderator disliking you, but the fact that you didn't adhere to the forum rules which you agreed to when you registered with this forum.

And here is my tuppence.. when I joined here I was rather prone to posting/ commenting on near enough every thing..and to be honest I still could, but I have to resisit the urge, its also rather hard as I still only type with 2 figers and have to watch the key board too, and then still go back an correct mistakes!
Having just been given the moderator post it can be a bit of a struggle to read the posts. I come on to this site a silly ammount of times and look to read the highlighted new posts ( initially to learn about my lovely axolotl and now to research the next 'pet'). It sometimes takes a long time to work my way through, so excessive posts do unfortunately start to irratate :( .
I occasionally use another site but the inane chat personally puts me off , I now just pop in to check whats going on with the axolotl and rarely post there.
I do now tend to use the pm facility more to contact/ discuss/ congratulate various people so as to reduce the limit . I personally will try to pop into the chat room on this site too...but I am usually all alone.
It would be a shame to lose you as I feel you have a lot to contribute.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 8 post rule helps the rest of us deal with excited newbies that could find many of their questions answered through some well thought out searches here, and throughout the web, but turn the rest of us off and away with their "stream-of-consciousness-if-I-think-it-then-I-type-it" barrage of questions and observations, only to fizzle out after a few weeks/months and never be heard from again. Think quality, not quantity, and life as a whole becomes fullfilling, not just filling.
That's beautifully stated, Brian. I never knew you were so eloquent:supercool:

And if you are thinking of posting what we decide to be a gross excess of 8/day, you'll continue to get those points docked;)

Ok, you can keep em. It's just silly to want to limit discussion in my opinion.

That's beautifully stated, Brian. I never knew you were so eloquent:supercool:

Thanks Jen. It was almost 5 in the morning...I couldn't sleep and had been cleaning salamander poo' for a couple hours and had no idea what I was saying. Helps to explain how I stretched 4 text lines out of a single sentence...I'll be back to my usual argumentative troll-self shortly...

'Bell' - "tuppence"!!! I LOVE IT!!! Reminds me of Mary Poppins! Man, she was hot!!!

8-post-per-day? That is really wierd, on my old acount I didnt get that, but that was ages ago...What about if theres more than 8 threads you are interested in and can give an answer to? That really sucks....This is my first post on this acount, 7 to go....
P.

ponystrides, as mentioned above, 8/day is a guideline, not an absolute rule. We realize that occasionally someone will have a day where they can make meaningful, on-topic remarks on more than 8 threads. From experience, though, we've discovered that anyone posting much beyond this is usually posting blather. The rule is there to give us a basis for asking people to give more thought to what they post.

ponystrides, as mentioned above, 8/day is a guideline, not an absolute rule. We realize that occasionally someone will have a day where they can make meaningful, on-topic remarks on more than 8 threads. From experience, though, we've discovered that anyone posting much beyond this is usually posting blather. The rule is there to give us a basis for asking people to give more thought to what they post.

I have not, as of yet, posted and "blather" on this website. When I do you'll know it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back