Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

In desperate need of help!

Kal El

Reaction score
When I was changing my axie's water today I noticed the tip of one of her gills was white and had a cotton like substance on it. I've beening up on similar cases, and all of them say to immerse the axie into a salt bath. When I go ahead and do this do I need to worry about drastic changes in other parameters. For instance, the tap water (containing the salt) will have different pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings compared to the parameters that are within the tank. What should I do? I'm kind of really panicking now.

Jay

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Jay,

Don't panic follow the directions you have for giving salt baths, don't worry about the different parameters as its only a short space of time 10-15 minutes. If you are really worried use dechlorinated water to mix with your salt.

Good luck

kapo

Reaction score
Hi Jay, you shouldn't use straight tapwater for the saltbaths, use dechlorinated water, mix with the salt and let it stand in the same room as the tank so the temperature is fairly similar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!