Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I feed them too much?

WaterLizards

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am minding my daughter's Axolots for 3 weeks. She said they often didn't eat for a week or more, however, they seem to be very hungry and I am worried about over feeding them? Estiban is approx 17 cms long (from tip of tail to mouth) and Shinagami is around 14cm. Esti can't eats lots of liver and steak, Shini loves earthworms and sometimes a little steak and pellets. They will both eat everyday if I give them food. Esti seems very hungry everyday? Is it possible to over feed them?

Chrissy
:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 113

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Having looked at your photo's the wild type ( darker) one is rather skinny. I personally would offer them a live worm each daily, or equivalent ( thin slivers of raw meat/ tiger prawn etc.) . Axolotl can be over fed..but usually on the wrong diet..i have noticed on e of my juveniles is looking a little porky because it prefers to wait for me to drop the pellets in rather than eat the worms.
One other thing I noticed is whilst the rocks look really good, they are prone to trapping waste under neath them, so it makes it a little fiddly to do. Try to remove uneaten food/ waste regularly and when you do the 20 % water change ( dechlorinated ) concentrate on sucking the waste from under the rocks... I hope I haven't put you off the little beasties!!

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I second both comments. Those dudes are thin, and while my preference is to under rather than overfeed, they need to add bodymass for long term health. The rocks are nice. I atually like the large rocks because it is easy to just lift them out and suck the waste from under them. The tricky part is not dropping them on the glass bottom.

philbaker76

Reaction score
I had a couple of rescued Axolotls recently, a couple of worms a day (or the odd slug or cricket) soon put the weight on them. You can over feed them, as Bellabelloo/MRIGUY said; the dark one looks a little thin.

ianclick

Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb the body should be about the same width as the head, bigger getting overweight, smaller underweight.

Your dark coloured wildtype looks well underweight. I would give it a small feed everyday for a few weeks, actually looking at the photos again they both do. Its no biggy small daily feeds will help them bulk up.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1