Weird Growth on Axie??

growth

Hi Snowy
well that certainly doesn't look very nice whatever it is, the only thing i can suggest is you separate it from any other tankmates, just in case its something contagious and i'm sure someone else here can help you possibly diagnose it...all the best
Has this axie ever suffered damage to its tail? i only ask because i recently read of melanomas occuring in axolotls who have had to regenerate tail parts

Last edited:
hi,
looks very nasty, it could possibly be some sort of tumor.
if i were you i would try to contact a vet who deals with amphibians and see if it can be removed, if it gets caught in anything it could quite possibly bleed badly.
if you dont know any vets try contacting a zoo and see if they know of any.
good luck i hope all ends well.
if i were you i would do as gr33neyes reccommends and remove him from tank mates to ensure no accidental damage.

Hi..I think this is a job for the vet as I suspect it may be a prolapse.

I would seperate your axolotl into a seperate container of dechlorinated water and place somewhere cool and dark until you can get it to the vet.. I do think it needs seeing as soon as possible to avoid further damage i.e getting stood on etc.

Even if its not a prolapse it needs treatment by a proffesional as soon as possible.

i would say the position of the growth rules out a prolapse, but yes ,a visit to the vet needed.

Hi, Here here to everything already said, It definately looks like something that should be inside your axie. I would say not a tumour and agree with Ian that it is a weird place for a prolapse unless it has disdended from the anus and headed out side ways.

Could be a hernia. Has your axie been having any trouble passing bowel movements, or been on gravel substrate?

Either way VET, UNIVERSITY or ZOO asap.

Good Luck

Whereabouts in Australia are you based?

If you're in Melbourne here's a link to Exotic Vets in Melbourne, that may be a help: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50661 Otherwise you'll just have to phone around the vets in your area and ask if they have any experience or know of any vets in your area that do treat amphibians (axolotls/newts etc...)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back