Dubai/Oman Border toad appearance!!

russell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in dubai the other day and fancied a visit to a freshwater wadi (natural freshwater stormdrains) and bearing in mind the air temperature was approaching 40degrees and some of the pools were over that i found these intruiging beasts!
I have also added a few pics of the habitat, aside from the abundance of litter it is the most beuatiful place i have ever visited.
IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

does anyone know what they are?

I don't know the species but obviously it's from the genus Bufo. Thanks for sharing these photos. What I find must intriguing is their positioning - the toads are sitting partially in the water and partially out. This might be because it would naturally keep them damp but also allow evaporation to take place, thus leading to efficient cooling. Quite ingenius if true.

Oh and regarding temperatures, Bufo are quite tough - I've seen them here in Texas during the summer and it gets over 40 here for periods of time, sometimes by quite a bit.

For the clueless Americans, I'll point out that the temperature of 40C is about 104F!!

What a stunning place! Thanks for sharing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back