Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Axies for my first time

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
Ok, I've recently brought a tank 61cm(2ft) long, 30cm deep and 32cm high which I plan on keeping two Axolotls in. I have black river stones in there at the moment some pvc pipe tunnels and plastic plants. I have next to no previous experience with fish so bear with me. Heres a pic:

TankFront.jpg

And another from the top:

PB180336.jpg

So first off I'm worried that my tank is overcrowded. Do you guys think I should remove the smaller tunnel (the right one) so theres more open area?

The temp is about 23C and yes I know thats not really ideal, but its really hot at the moment so I'm hoping it will come down soon. Ive just done a pH test which came up as 7.4 which is good I'm pretty sure.

Another thing I've been thinking about is will there be enough oxygen in the water for my axies? Would a air-stone do the job? As for food I plan on feeding them mostly chicken hearts as I can get them for free at work. I may also feed them pellets and earthworms for some variety.

And lastly my biggest problem right now is about how to [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Cycle my tank. I've seen this mentioned on various forums and I don't really understand how to do this. Anyone have ano good tips or websites for me?

Thanks so much for putting up with all the questions :lol::lol::lol:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Oh yeah one more thing I forgot. How often and how much should I change the water? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Saspotato

Reaction score
Ok here is an article on cycling for you:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Generally with cold water, oxygen is not a problem. But I don't know enough about this to be 100%. I have never worried much about this to be honest. My tank is the same size and I have one axolotl that is 19cm in it... also I have more ornaments than you and haven't had any problems. Just make sure there is room around the tubes for the axolotl to move around.

PH of 7.4 is perfect. Axolotls like between 6.5-8, with 7.3-7.6 being preferred.

Not sure chicken hearts are the best food for axolotls. I have heard they are very fatty and this could lead to heart problems. Earthworms, bloodworms, brine schrimp and soft salmon pellets are good foods I have heard. I am sure others will suggest more as well.

And finally, with water changes, when your tank is cycling you will need to do 20% water changes frequently - check your ammonia levels and if they are above 0 you will need to do 20% water changes until the rate of ammonia reduces to 0. Then I think you should do 20% water changes each week. Make sure the water has been dechlorinated.

kapo

Reaction score
Don't worry about the pH or adjusting it if it falls or rises above 7.4. As long as it's within the range 6.5 - 8.0 range, it's fine.

If I was you I'd remove the riverstone, gunk/waste soon builds up beneath the stones. Having a bare tank floor may not look as aesthetically pleasing as riverstones but it does make tank maintenance and feeding far easier.

The most important parameters to watch are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and tank temperature especially in a small tank with two axolotls.

That size tank would really just suit one axolotl. As you can see it does look a bit squashed and an adult axolotl can reach 30cm+ (our smallest is 25cm, our largest 32cm+). With it being the size it is, and having two axolotls you'll find that the water fouls quite quickly and your temperature will be a constant problem (smaller tanks heat faster than larger tanks = warmer water means less oxygen). Ideally a 3ft tank would suit 2 axolotls.

Sarah is right there is oxygen in cold water but you can add an airstone (most of our tanks have them) . The problem is your tankwater during summer will not be cold, you'll have constant fluctuating temperatures depending on how hot it gets and will have to try and cool and maintain that temperature if you intend getting the axolotls within the next few weeks. see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Just because you get the chicken hearts for free (it's a bonus for you obviously) but don't use them as their sole/primary food. Any raw meat should be fed occasionally as a treat. Earthworms are by far better for them, we also use slaters and garden snails - just make sure wherever you get them from they don't use pesticides in their gardens. Apparently you may be able to get earthworms from Bunnings. If you can get a bunch of worms and start a wormfarm, you'll have a ready source once established that costs nothing and eats your foodscraps.

Cycling your tank is actually very easy, and since it is summer you should try and cycle your tank before you get your axolotls. Read the link that Sarah provided. If you have the money invest in some freshwater test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as these will be crucial in testing the water parameters and making sure your tank is established before introducing your axolotls. Cycling before you get your axolotls will then ensure you won't have to worry about keeping the tank cool nor constant waterchanges so your axies don't get stressed, develop fungus or get seriously ill.

You can drop a cube of raw meat in the tank to start the cycle. Cycling will take anywhere from 3 weeks to 10.5 weeks to establish the good bacteria in your tank. Keep your filter running, no waterchanges, just regular watertesting of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates - keep a record in a notebook by the tank.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, apart from the freshwater test kits and using a water ager (also known as water conditioner or water dechlorinater to remove chlorine and chloramines from tapwater), do not buy any other chemicals to "cycle" your tank or remove the ammonia etc.... They aren't needed and will only hinder rather than help the tank cycle.

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I will leave the rocks for now, and if I have problems I will consider changing then. I'm thinking I will only get one Axolotl for now hope he doesn't get lonely :(
I'll do a bit of research on the worm farm idea as well, that might just work for me

Saspotato

Reaction score
Axolotls don't mind their own company so don't worry about him/her getting lonely :)

If you develop problems with having rocks, you can use a bare tank bottom or sand (but wash the sand first!) :)

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
I'm very keen to get the whole cycling process going, but I don't have the necessary test kits yet (only have pH test kit) and I was thinking would it be a bad idea to start now and get the kits and monitor levels as soon as possible? The only thing is it might take a week or more to get the supplies as my car just got stolen :mad:. I'm still a little confused over the whole idea, say I was to drop a small slice of chicken heart in how long would I keep it in there for before I took it out?

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your car!

You basically leave the meat in the tank, let it decompose as it will start the cycling of. It's fine to start cycling now, then as soon as you get the kits monitor once or twice a week and keep a record of it so you know how far along you have to go before its cycled.

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
Ok sounds good. Does that mean I will leave decomposing meat in there until the cycling process is finished? I've Just put in a small piece of heart, about a cm in diameter. :D I'm so exited :p:p

Saspotato

Reaction score
Read the cycling article I linked to, it will explain how to do it. You will need to leave the meat in there and possibly add to it to keep feeding the bacteria ammonia.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it stays until it decomposes..i.e the bacteria will break it all down until you can no longer see it.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Saspotato said:
You will need to leave the meat in there and possibly add to it to keep feeding the bacteria ammonia.

Yep and that was my answer to your question! :) Just leave it in there and it will break down eventually.

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
Two weeks after putting my piece of chicken heart in I have finally got the test kits. So heres what I have;

pH: Still at 7.4 :D
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.50ppm

Does this sound right for a tank that had been cycling for two weeks? Also My tank is cycled when I have no Ammonia or Nitrite readings and higher Nitrate readings is that correct?
I've also decided to do away with my river stones and put some white beach sand in, Sound good? I'll post some pics when I've done it.

kapo

Reaction score
Yes your parameters looks fine. Yes your tank is cycled once ammonia/nitrIte readings are 0 and you have a nitrate reading.

Removing the river stones may cause your parameters to change slightly as the good bacteria establishes on substrate. It shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Fried Noodle,

Sounds like its all coming together. The best thing for tank cycling is patience and time. It may seem like a big deal over nothing, but not having a cycled tank when you get axies definitely creates more work. Speaking from experience I got given my first axie and had no knowledge about their care requirements. Thanks to the advice from this site I now have three.

I have a small patch (30cm x 15cm) of glacial river stones the smallest is bigger than the biggest axies head so no chance of them swallowing them, 16 fake plants, A large two level tunnel system with three tunnels and a large crystal rock, a smaller cave made from stacked slate, and a ceramic tree stump and root system that has 3 entry/exits. All this in 160 litre tank roughly 3' length x 15" width x 18" high. Apart from the patch of river stones and the slate slabs I have a bare tank floor. It was the best compromise I could come to between nothing and sand.

I look at it sometimes and think that it is too crowded. But my axies love it so I leave it, now I want a bigger tank so I can have more axies and create a different environment. Have a look at the tanks and setups section and the gallery there are some great ideas and photos.

Good luck

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
Well I put the sand in . . .

It didn't go as well as planned. I rinsed the sand as well as i could but now my tank is so cloudy, I can't see the other side. Should I do a complete water change or should I let it settle and do daily part water changes? Also Should I turn my filter back on or will that clog it?

PC030402.jpg

PC030403.jpg

paganwitch

Reaction score
looking at that water and all the research i have been doing lately i would do at least a %50 water change and turn your filter on because the good bacteria is building up in it and will clear it quicker soon it will clear up and then test the water make sure you add dechlorinate to the new water :happy:

also i was looking at your filter in the pics above i had one similar and found it created a strong current which axolotls don't like just thought you might wanna know :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FriedNoodle

Reaction score
Yeah I thought the current was strong too, so I made a homemade spray bar and now its fine :D. OK I'm going to change some water and turn my filter on then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1