Shedding skin

Lisa

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, am wondering if my axie is shedding his/her skin. Just noticed today little white flaps dangling off him, on his head and body too. And after I fed him and he churned the water up chasing falling bloodworms, there were tiny white bits of it in the water around him. Doesn't really look "fuzzy" like fungus, but have only had him a month so really have no idea. He seems otherwise fine. What happens when they shed their skin? This site is so helpful! Could probably find the answer to my question somewhere, but have to generate dinner for six mouths in next hour or so and would really appreciate some info. :eek:

sheading skin

;)
Hi what are your water temps,dont know where in aussie you are but,i have got temps in 45dec today,
You have to keep temp below at max 20 at all times,but as i know it is hard.
temps going up and down is a very big no no for all axies,they go in to stress ,leading to a few things (one being sheading of skin).
I use and have posted info on this site,place polystrene foam on sides and back of tank,it does drop temp by about 3 to 6 dec.
Keep glass lids of tank ,replace with teatowel/cloth/bamboo mat extra.
Use a fan desk top or a cheap one from a cheap store,got mine for $10 at chip as chips,just place over tank and leave on full blast.
What are your water parameters,as i have done a full study and not to alarm you or anyone,but high levels of ammonia will lead to high stress /eg skin sheading.Or if it keeps happing and all water parameters are ok,
you will just have to face the rest of us aussies,
mine are going in fridge for summer,as well as all i know,
axies are hard to keep in our hot dry lifstyle,but we are not told this when we buy them.
It is our fault really,we should do the reasearch.
well all the best.
Catherine.​

Thanks Catherine. Water parameters are all OK I think, ammonia and nitrite 0, ph 7.4, temp is steadily 20 degrees. Doing 20% water changes weekly and cleaning up poo and food daily. We are in perth, weather OK presently. But was warm and tank up to 23 degrees a week ago, so maybe that's why. Have the ice bottles lined up and will get some polystyrene foam for next hot days. Also planning bigger tank and fans soon, which should help. Have fairly cool house so lucky. So I'll just keep an eye on him for now then.

Hi Lisa,

Its not uncommon for an axie to shed skin. I have three but have not encountered this with mine so far.

Kepp up the watch and keep us posted.

Good Luck

all is well

He/she seems to be going fine. I've made an "axie esky" out of 25mm foam on three sides and think that may be a permanent fixture between november and march each year. Definately doesn't look like fungus, just a couple of flaky bits on head today. I'm going to try and post a picture of my setup and axie in the gallery, as think he may be a she and the ends of his/her toes are lighter now (natural type) which I think means its sexually mature?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back