Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

newt's leg looks infected?

savagehart

Reaction score
i have 2 chinese fire belly newts... i looked into the cage today and noticed something weird on one of their legs...i looked closer at him and relized that it was swollen, miss-shapen and weirdly colored... as i've watched him today i've noticed that he's really lathargic. i found him just a minute ago just stuck to the water intake on the filter cuz he was just too lathargic to swim away. i though he was dead for a second, till i tried to grab him yo look at his leg. i'm really worried. i have a few pictures of the leg...anyone know what it is or what i shoud do?

100_2632.jpg

100_2636.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like maybe the leg was caught in the filter intake earlier. It looks like it is stripped of skin.

Keep the newt on damp paper towels (like in a securely closed plastic box), as it sounds as if it isn't strong enough to swim. If the leg is really not usable, amputation would probably be helpful, but you should seek assistance from a vet for this. There are some things that might help ward off further infection, listed in this article:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1