Weird Egg Colouration

russell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just got back from Dubai to find my tank chocka block full of axy eggs which are mostly Yellowish White in colour (one female in the tank is yellow albino, one is leuc the father is a leuc too)

Roughly 30 of the fertile eggs are exactly 50% Black and 50% white, if you imagine a ball with a line down the middle.

What does this mean?

Kind regards

Russell

Oh and how do i remove the eggs from the internal filters, as they seem to be being sucked in!

I will try to place a picture later on

Hey,

the egg coloration depends on two factors: genetics / coloration of the female (for the first several hours albinos eggs always seem to be white / lightly yellow) and coloration of the offspring in the following hours when pigments start to migrate.

I suppose that the white-and-black eggs will become leucistics given the coloration of the parents. They may also become wild colored if the dark pigments migrate further down the white part.
The yellowish eyes could become golden albinos but they may also become white albinos.

That's all depending on the parents genetics ;)

I had to take the filters apart and rinse in the tank water it felt really unpleasant. Princess found that the gap beside the filter was a really good spot to lay....but boy do they get sucked in!!! Theyalso developed much faster in the filter so clean it out fast.

Roughly 30 of the fertile eggs are exactly 50% Black and 50% white, if you imagine a ball with a line down the middle.

Well, I am not terribly familiar with axolotl eggs (or caudate eggs in general, sadly) I would say that these eggs are normal. When we were using Xenopus frog eggs in the laboratory you can easily see the vegetative and animal pole of the eggs. One of these is black and the other white, but for the life of me I can't remember which is which.

I would guess that if these eggs are different than ones you've had before than they are either newer than previously observed eggs and still have distinctive poles or are missing a pigment that hid this detail from you on previous batches.

EDIT: These awesome photos by Daniel show axie eggs with their animal and vegetative poles, is this what you are seeing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back