GBR Press: Crested newts could sink waste site bid

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
WELWYN & HATFIELD TIMES (UK) 21 November 07 Crested newts could sink waste site bid
An endangered species could rule out the use of a site for waste disposal.
Hatfield resident Dean Archer expressed concerns about the use of the Green Belt land on Travellers Lane in the town due to the fact it is the habitat of crested newts.
The New Barnfield site is one of seven identified by the county council as being possibly suitable for waste disposal in Times Territory.
And it is the one at the top of their list and could be used to house a 'waste-to-energy' incinerator.
But Mr Archer, of Fern Dells, said he discovered the reptiles when he was part of a taskforce that cleaned up a pond on the site.
He said: "It was about four or five years ago that we were told that the newts were living there and we believe they are still up there.
"We were cleaning the pond out for the anglers and stumbled on this.
"I can't see how this can be a feasible site to use if there is an endangered species there."
A spokesman for Herts County Council said: "Crested newts are a protected species but, if they are inhabiting the Travellers Lane site, this would not exclude the site from future development.
"If this site were to be developed and there are crested newts living there, surveys would be carried out to establish where they are and their movements.
She added: "A licence could be obtained to move them safely to another suitable location."
"We are keen for as many people as possible to respond to the consultation as this is exactly the type of local information we are interested in."
Those wanting to comment can write to the environment director, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford SG13 8DE.
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/content/wh...ewswhtnew&itemid=WEED21 Nov 2007 10:55:22:653

save the crested newts! I love those reptiles!

Please don't help perpetuate that stupidity, Sam.

This ones from my local paper. It seems that the crested newt has made a bit of a come back as there has been a number of building projects in my area delayed due to these lovely newts.. even to the extent that I have seen them trundling along pavements when its been raining .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back