Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think Abe has constipation!

cat_lady

Reaction score
What's the best thing to give him to help him "relieve himself?" Lovely question - sorry, but I've got to ask. He's been constipated more than once and I'm worried about it happening too frequently.

Abrahm

Reaction score
What kind of newt or salamander is Abe? It is possible that he is eating whatever you keep on the bottom of the aquarium (dirt, gravel) and this is causing the constipation through something called impaction. So what do you keep Abe on?

cat_lady

Reaction score
He's a mandarin salamander and he's currently got spagnum moss as his substrate. But I've not seen him showing any interest in eating it!

I'm also curious as to the smallest and largest size tanks one mandarin sal can live in on their own? I have a space on top of my vivs where I'd like to put his home but I don't want to downsize his current tank if he'll be unhappy.

Abrahm

Reaction score
It is not that salamanders want to eat their bedding, it is just that they are messy eaters with bad aim. Often times they will "dive" for a cricket and come away with some sphagnum moss in their mouth. If you tweezer or tong feed him I don't think you have much to worry about as far as constipation goes. If you do not you may want to consider changing your bedding. Coco fiber, sold in dehydrated blocks as bed a beast and other brand names works exceptionally well and has smaller particles than sphagnum. It also is a neutral substrate as sphagnum can be quite low pH whch may cause problems for some animals.

As for the aquarium size I wouldn't want to downsize him if you can give him a larger home. Putting him on top of your vivs may increase the temperature in his cage, because heat rises, and this may be bad for your little mandarin.

cat_lady

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep him in what he's in then. :)

With regards to feeding, I put whatever it is he's eating (mealies, waxworms - very rarely, and earthworms) on a jam jar lid to avoid exactly what you mentioned.

Any other ideas?

cat_lady

Reaction score
Also, where is the best place to get coco fibre if that's the best substrate?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Most pet stores in the USA offer the coco fiber bricks. I know you are not in the US but try looking in your local pet stores and see what you can find.
Is your Abe acting normal other than the constipation issue? As in eating, normal levels of activity, and skin texture and color have remained the same?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coco-fiber goes by various other names, but it's usually sold in bricks at pet shops, as Heather noted. Another good substrate is organic top soil (not potting soil). I buy mine at a home improvement/gardening store (Lowes, for the benefit of US readers).

What makes you think the sal is constipated? What are the symptoms?

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
I keep adult and one year old juvenile mandarins on a mix of top soil and compost. The juveniles in particular are very overenthusiastic when it comes to food and often swallow clumps of substrate when lunging at worms etc. Whilst i'd rather they didn't, it certainly doesn't seem to do them any harm.

cat_lady

Reaction score
The symptom that made me think that was that his stomach area was bloated. (Please note past tense, I checked on him earlier and thankfully he's not swollen anymore!) I know with bloat most of his body and legs would be swollen.

Thanks for the advice with regards to the substrate, I'll look in a few petshops over the next couple of days - maybe substrate that has been recommended highly can be his christmas present!

He isn't an over-enthusiastic eater, when I was sold him a couple of years ago he was terribly stubborn and I'd have to shut him in a ventilated box with nothing but the food he was supposed to be eating in. He's got a lot better, though.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, that’s the wrong type of coconut fibre. The kind your after is this:

Topsoil from a garden centre works just as well. I use this brand:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1